Why am I seeing hundreds of exclamation marks in song file names after updating iTunes?

Dan Ealey November 21, 2011

I downloaded iTunes version 10, and without doing a thing, I now see hundreds of (!) in front of songs I did NOT delete. I tried to copy from my backup files and now have about 2000 copies. I need to somehow get rid of without screwing things up further. Please help this retired Vet!!

1. Daealey

Things are pretty bad over here.  All I want to do is send out a search, find ALL music files (*.m4a) right?, place ALL of them into a new folder and make that my library...then delete the copies I screwed up and made of them all, and also find all of the files that are now (!).

Vista had a great search engine...imho 7 sucks. 

Can you put it into words a 5th grader could understand, because I think I'm smarter than one.  I think.

Really appreciate a simple all-emcompassing answer.

• Victor Ong

Like FIDELIS said, go to your preferences and check the to boxes on the advanced tab.  Then check the location of the itunes Library.  You may have to locate the file for itunes manually though.  It has an option sometimes to use the location where you found one file to look for other files.

Hello, the exclamation marks are there because itunes can not find the file...in this case the songs.  What are you using as backup?  Make sure to change settings in itunes so that it points to your backup.  You can also do it manually but in your case it would take a long time. 

-- open itunes
    -- double click on any of the songs wit exclamation mark
    -- select locate
    -- search in your computer for folder where songs are

-- open iTunes
    -- click on edit
    -- click on preferences
    -- click
    on Advanced tab
    -- check that general tab is selected
    -- check that keep iTunes music folder organized is selected
    -- check that copy
    files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library is also selected
    -- click OK after options above are selected.
    -- also in the advanced options, make sure that the consolidate library is checked