Why does my HP printer not print after being turned off or going into idle?
Question by Alex Picard /

I hooked up my printer to my network so that I can print from all my computers in my house. Whenever I turn off my printer or it goes “idle”, it won’t print anything until I re-install the printer on my computer. How can I print things out without re-installing the printer or getting a new one?

It’s a HP Photosmart 2610 all-in-one printer.

• CD Printing

It also works perfectly fine for me.

• Alex Picard

It works, thanks a lot!

• Artur Wrona

From your description I’m guessing, that your HP is getting new IP every time it goes back online via DHCP service. In home network with few laptops and desktop computers they might change depending how many devices is powered up.

You need to assign static IP for your printer, so whenever you switch it on computers will see it as the same network resource.

Press Setup on your printer panel, then 8, 3, 2, OK, 2 then set the IP addres, mask and gateway (usually in home network enviroment, mask will be and gateway will be, but it may differ depending on your router configuration).

If this won’t help, then maybe this HP Software Upgrade will be of use to you

Good luck, and happy printing ;)