Why does my HP printer no longer pull in paper?

Sara Dillinger February 19, 2011

My printer won’t pull the paper in. It is an HP PSC 1210. Worked fine until I needed to print my tax returns.

Hey Sara,

Were you able to resolve the issue? Let us know if you need any further assistance with it?

Does it try to pull in paper - as in it makes the sound and the rollers are turning?
    If it seems to do so, make sure the paper is inserted correctly and in case there is a spring pushing the paper up into the feeder make sure it is working.

But the most likely cause is that the paper feed roller is either too dirty or too outworn. Look for rubber roller (could be one or multiple) where the paper goes in. It should look like one of those Google Images http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=paper+feed+roller

You can try to carefully clean it with a damp cloth.

If it looks and/or feels like dried out and outworn you are probably better of getting a new printer. Most of the time you can only buy the entire Paper Feed Assembly which will set you back 30$ and upwards ~ the same you pay for a new printer.