Why does my HP laptop shut down when I try to play games?

July August 18, 2010

My HP DV1000 keeps shutting down when I try to play FFXI on myPC. Or whenever I run other things on my PC it happens frequently.

I looked and it says it’s a driver error. I just don’t know how to fix it. I mean I have steam and I can’t even run Tf2 or Alienswarm, which sucks like hell. I can play Hl2 and portal with just a bit of lag, but its alright.

Can anyone help get these issues fixed?

1. ukohara

in blue dump battery is never an issue. so submit it to the authorised service center and tell them( don't request, order them u have paid for it and its company's duty to replace faulty one) to change the motherbord. because this dump problem occurs mainly due to Faulty MB'S. so once you got it replaced i bet it will be solved if CPU fan and drivers are okay. and it is wise to buy an extended warranty (if your company offers any such scheme) to enhance the chances of getting genuine replacement of hardware parts free after two or three years later when your machine slowly shows signs of aging.

2. Jjuly617

OK well it gives me a blue screen and it dumps memory also my battery is actually recalled so could that be the problem. It gets super hot to the point where the metal burns me.

well you haven't given any clue regarding shut down i mean there can be two situations the first is its screen switches off and goes blank than it shows the boot screen or it shut down with a blue dump warning ( a situation where computer screen turns blue and an error code of 14 digits approx. is displayed and windows restarts to save your computer's hardware and files from any permanent damage. it is basically a kind of fail safe mechanism).
    in scenario one it could be the game related. the copy you are using may have some bugs (happens with pirated games usually) which might cause a sudden shutdown of your system due to some abnormality of programme. so you may try to change the copy of the game...buy original if you are using pirated one.

in the later scenario there can be three problems-

1. motherboard- it usually occure due to faulty MB'S so if your system is in warrenty period try to replace it with a new one. otherwise this problem cannot be solved permanently.

2. CPU Fan- if the Cpu fan is not working properly the heat generated during the normal work process can damage the hardware and might force system to restart to save it from causing any damage. soKINDLY CHECK YOUR CPU fan to make sure it is working fine.

3. Drivers- This problem is Software related and happens with microsoft windows driven systems mostly. If recently you have updated any graphic related software or has installed any new driver without making sure its make (i.e. x64 or x84 for instance) you also face this problem.
    but sometimes if you have installed a pirated window you also can get unexpected windows restart. also check your graphic card settings. HP uses ATI graphic cards probably the best i'd say...but still make sure it is ok by visiting the HP WEBSITE. AND DOWNLOAD THE RIGHT DRIVER FOR IT.

What I did---- Hummm i asked my hp customer center to change my motherboard as a permanent solution because other methods didn't worked for me.

i hope this will help you.

4. John McClain

What kind of driver error is it?

My guess is that it could be heat related. I had a similar problem with my HP laptop a few years back (Pavilion zd8000). It would overheat and shut down whenever I tried to play Call of Duty or run basically any CPU-intensive application. Make sure all the fans are running properly and any dust is cleaned out.