How would I recover data from other drives if my C: drive becomes damaged?

1hegame February 11, 2013

If my C: drive gets corrupted or damaged with no way to recover then can I recover data stored in other drives in any way? I just want to know. Thank you for your help.

1. Chinmay Sarupria

Reinstall OS in C drive. Nothing will happen to the other drives.

2. reha andrew

Yeah! you need not to worry your data is safe. And it will remain safe till the time it will not be overwritten. To recover your data you can use a data recovery software for that go online you will see these software in two version free and paid. For the initial results means like to confirm that the software is good or not use the free version and if you will find that free version is nice then for more better results use the paid version. And if still you face any problem then contact a data recover specialist.

3. Paul Pruitt

Try looking here for some Linux distributions that are geared toward data recovery: http://www.s2services.com/boot-disks.htm

4. Nevzat Akkaya

You can use any live Linux distros out there. You can also use Paragon's free and professional tools. Paragon Rescue Kit (http://www.paragon-software.com/free/rk.html) and Paragon Backup and Recovery (http://www.paragon-software.com/free/db.html)

5. Arish Dhawan

you may either run it in safe mode if it works..

or

the better way is to install Ubuntu in a pendrive or something...you can easily recover then..

• Unknown ...

This seems like the answer. Thank you.

If your OS is XP or Vista on the computer your using to recover your files off a seperate physical drive, you may have to go into security and change ownership in order to access the files. Win 7 asks if you what to change ownership and you just hit enter.

7. Ramandeep Singh

Now can't I just put a Windows disk and install it on either D or E? I know when I boot I'll either prompted to choose OS or go straight to the Desktop. This should work.

BTW I have a single HDD partitioned. Thanks for all your response. That helped me.

----
    I've used Ubuntu for two months but now I'm back to Windows @Brandon_Ragoo

• Ramandeep Singh

I thought that reply will not get published therefore I replied again in this comment. MUO comment system.. I don't know how it works.

• Alan Wade

To get the data back from your partitions follow the second half of my suggestion, or take out the drive and put it in a working machine. You should then be able to read the data on the other partitions.

Povided that there is enough free space on the other partitions and it is not a mechanical problem with the drive, you could install Windows on one of the other partitions, but you must make absolutely sure that you tell it to leave all existing partitions alone and not to reformat the drive prior to beginning the installation which would wipe out any data you have stored there.

The only other item that could be an issue is if you are using BitLocker on your existing partitions. In that case, you are SOL.

8. Jan Fritsch

It depends on where the other data is physically stored.

If it's another logical drive (partition) on the same physical hard drive then it all comes down to the reason for "C:" not being recoverable.
    Some partition or file system corruption could effect one partition while leaving the other one intact. In that case your data would be retrievable. If it's a mechanical error you are facing the same issue as for "C:"

If the data is on another physical drive they should be retrievable using any other computer e.g. by using an external case or connecting the drive internally.

Of course certain issues e.g. a power spike could damage all physical drives connected to the same motherboard.

So all in all there is no conclusive answer as it is situational.

9. fritz Richard

One way is if you know how to take your other drives out of your computer and use them on another computer for you to browse and keep the files that you need/want.

10. Brandon Ragoo

Erlis Dhima is correct I was about to say the same, just create a boot able Linux CD or USB and boot into it. After you should be able to access whichever drive it is and back up the data. If you are new to Linux I recommended using Ubuntu. You can also use another method and remove the drive from in your computer attach it to another computer and back up the data.

• Ramandeep Singh

I'm not new to it. I've used Linux for 2 months but I'm back to windows. Thanks for your reply.

• Ramandeep Singh

IM NOT SEEING ANYWHERE TO CLICK "MARK THIS QUESTION AS RESOLVED". LET ME ANNOUNCE I DON'T NEED MORE ANSWERS. THIS QUESTION IS RESOLVED.

• Tina Sieber

You can only see the option if you are logged in. It's directly above the list of similar questions.

However, I already marked the question as resolved for you.

• Ramandeep Singh

I was thinking of it. I thought that you'll understand that I'm already logged in. The comment I've posted above yours is a comment made while logged in and I've seen "carefully" whole page but nowhere found option to mark resolved. MUO behaves sometimes weird to me. Like my question get posted with my twitter username and replies like this with other name. :??:

Ramandeep,

Your last comment explains why you don't see the Mark As Resolved button. You are logged in with a different account for commenting. To see the button, you need to be logged in with the same account you used to post the question with.

You have at least three different accounts with MakeUseOf. Two with different Gmail addresses, and one with a mailinator address.

Did you know you could unite your accounts? Log in and go to your MakeUseOf Profile. Find the Add/Remove Profile field in the top right and add your other social network accounts with associated profiles.

11. Erlis Dhima

I would also suggest booting up from another os, like linux mint, or ubuntu, and see if you can access your files, and back up them into another hdd!

if you windows see the drive then you can use some backup software, now if windows do not see it then you can buy an identical hard drive and try to transfer the hard disk inside the new one to see if windows will recognize it. If nothing help then you have to seek company help and this will cost you money.

before arriving to such situation use hard drive health monitoring tool like Active Smart
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/index.html

If the data is on other drives then once you either repair your C drive or replace it you will be able to read the other drives. Another alternative would be to remove the other drives and put them into a working computer, you be able to read them then.
    If your drive is partitioned and just the C drive (partition) becomes corrupted with bad sectors, then again install a new drive but leave your old one in your machine. When you install Windows onto the new drive it will assume the C drive label. then you will be able to read the other partitions.

14. Lisa Santika Onggrid

If it's in different drive I'm pretty sure the data will be intact. Just plug it into functioning computer to get the data. If it's one drive partitioned into two, you'd need recovery software.

you will have to use data recovery tools and softwares.