How will neighbors affect my cable Internet connection speed?

Aaron H September 21, 2013

If i have cable Internet with an ISP, and my neighbors also have cable, but with a different ISP will it affect my Internet connection and speeds?

1. James B

If it's just your neighbour, you don't have anything to worry about. If everyone in your neighbourhood had cable internet, it would slow down during peak usage. This depends upon the infrastructure of course, but it's not true to say universally "no effect" as these other helpful users appear to be suggesting. The fact that it's a different ISP means nothing when they're just reselling bandwidth from a bigger wholesale provider.

they are not using the same MAC and IP address, so will not interfere unless technical problems or perhaps hacking?

As Susendeep says, it will have no impact at all. The people you share bandwith with are other clients of your ISP who are connected to the same exchange. Since your neighbours use a different ISP, they're someone else's problem...

No,it would not affect you in anyway since the ISPs are different,so you won't have to bother about bandwidth being consumed by them via use of torrent,streaming etc..

• James B

Most likely wrong. Most ISPs just resell others bandwidth. During peak usage, internet speeds will slow down. The only case where this wouldn't apply is if one ISP is using the phone wires for ADSL and the other is using fibre for cable; but in this case, they've said it's both cable. It's highly unlikely that two companies have come along and laid two separate cables.

In practice, I doubt this user would notice a difference.