How will a solid state drive improve my laptop’s battery life?

Kevin Vaillant June 27, 2012

If I replace my HDD with an SSD in my laptop how much more battery life will I get? I know every laptop is different so a specific answer is difficult but what percentage increase in battery life could a person expect to see?

1. Kevin Vaillant

Thanks everyone for all your input, its appreciated.

you can have some gain like 10% (if your laptop runs 3 hours, you'll get an extra 15-20 minutes!!!) and this will depend what you are doing, surfing web, copying files, playing games..; depends the SSD manufacturer...

Power Consumption Results,1955-14.html

Most SSDs only have two states: on and off. This means that when they are on, they are always at peak energy consumption.
    Using an SSD with your notebook or netbook means you’ll enjoy longer battery life. Traditional mechanical hard drives consume large amounts of power to start up and seek data. With no moving parts, SSDs use less of your precious battery power, resulting in longer running times!!!.

3. Ravi Meena

An SSD doesn not have moving disk like a normal HDD, so the power which is requires to spin the disk and the power to move the Optical reading head is saved when you use SSD. and how much battery life it will give you extra depends on how you use your laptop. and the power consumption of SSD.

if for example with your general usage your battery runs for X hours.
    now we say that from the battery consumption of X hours, your normal HDD consumes Y% .
    now without any HDD your laptop will run for X + (XY/100) hours
    so with and SDD the battery will run for X + (XY/100) - (the % of battery it will consume * X/100)

you can do the calculation with the actual figures.

SSDs have evolved substantially over the past four years (when these articles were written) while hard drives have functionally, and technologically, remained the same.

For example, my older Intel 320 drive consumes 150 milliwatts of power while active and 100 while idle. It adds about one to two hours of additional battery life to my Toughbook W8 during normal use (Word Processing/Internet) but I imagine it would add substantially more during any process that was heavily hard drive intensive, such as installation of software or Photoshop.

As SSD controller programming and sophistication has improved, so too has their idle state battery consumption. It's a simple fact that SSDs consume less power than spin up drives.

But don't take my word for it. You can actually test SSD battery consumption:

Try using BatteryMon, first, with the hard drive installed, and second, with the SSD. You should see, in real world terms, a substantial gain in battery performance for standard usage.

5. kaushmc

Hello, I would say the jury is still out on this one. Depends on who you ask. If you check online, there are several benchmarks comparing results and they all vary......

7. Kyem Ghosh

please read the article from the web link given. You'll get the answer.

8. jessemanalansan

None. But maybe you could see a little like 10-20 minutes maybe.