How to unlock or flash a Chinese Spreadtrum Phone with Android 4.0.3?
Question by Rajaa Chowdhury /

My friend has bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 replica, read: fake. I want to unlock it and if that is not possible, then only to flash it.

Model number: S930
Android version: 4.0.3
Baseband version: DM_BASE_12A_W12.39|sc6820_modem|12-28-2012 19:51:42
Kernel version: rgk-bu2-04@rgk-bu2-04-desktop #3
Software version: T300_JYYS930_C3BOM_MLB_SIM2_V6.7.5_20121105
Hardware version: 1.1.0
CPU: Spreadtrum
IMEI : 353817054073382

He wants to use it in India, but unfortunately, none of the Indian SIM is being recognised as the phone is locked.

Kindly help in unlocking it. If only it cannot be unlocked, then suggest how it can be flashed.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• vijay

root master is best application to root sprd device download for free in

• Nach Moreda

Hi there Rajaa. I add myself to the list of those who bought one of those useless chinese clons. This particular one is a spreadtrum mocordroid 4.0.4 with a partially useful cwm. The thing is that using gingerbreak the cwm recovery that camen with factory ¡has vanished!!! Darn it. I cant seem to be able to root it, neither rescue the recovery, which is not on /system/bin anymore. Please give me some guidance if you were so kind.
    Moborobo detects the device as I8730, But the drivers of adb and mass storage dont get detected. I try to install the set of fdl files with research download and does not seem to work. Please send some help to this southern spain apprentice. Kind regards. Thanks in advance.

• Kannon Yamada

Hey Rajaa!

For the last couple years I’ve been looking into Chinese manufactured phones – all of them come unlocked. I’ve never heard of someone getting a carrier locked GSM phone. By the way, the site you referred me to sells only unlocked and unrooted phones.

I know that frequently only one manufacturer will exist for a particular line of faked phone. These manufacturers sell to second party distributors, which oftentimes relabel the device as something else. But coming off the production line, these knockoffs often are externally identical to the GSIII. For the most part, one ROM and root method for one of these will work for most of them. However, I must warn that the Chinese manufacturers change components sometimes and not all the phones are identical. Therefore you can brick your device if you flash the wrong ROM or use the wrong rooting method. But chances are if it worked on one replica GSIII, it will work on most of them.

Flashing a ROM will not unlock the phone though. If it’s carrier-locked, you will have to take it to a specialist that deals with unlocking GSM phones. I have seen them advertised on the internet before, but have never used one of these unlocking services and do not trust them.

Here’s a rooting method:

Hi Kannon,

This is the first time I am looking into a Chinese phone and it is a pain in the *** . :( I myself always purchase branded products, albeit entry level probably, but yes, certainly Branded. I personally use a Sammy Galaxy Chat GT-B5330, a entry level model but Sammy pushed JB 4.1.2 to it, so I am surviving at-least. :)

This friend of mine went to Bangkok and picked up this cheapster. I am really stuck with it. It did not come with a USB connector, windows recognises it as a Spreadtrum Phone, but cannot find and configure the driver, installed a driver which worked, when plugged with my original USB connector, says connected in USB debugging mode.

I found a project GPGDragon ( ), which should do the trick, but unfortunately the Phone and the software is not communicating between themselves via Com port. My COM ports are all fine, other devices work as desired. It is this stupid phone. However, as you look into Chinese offerings, this website and tools should be very useful for you, I am sure. :D

All my friends think I am an IT demigod and anything they throw at me, will get resolved. How wrong they are? They have no clue of the actual facts, that I am just a layman user of computers. Hehehe.

• Kannon Yamada

Nice! I had heard rumors of unlocking software, but have never actually seen the website.

Unfortunately the US recently changed their laws so now it is extremely illegal to unlock phones. :-( The crime is punishable by (I think) hundreds of thousands of dollars and many years of jail time!

It’s really quite disappointing. Hopefully they change the laws soon. I would like to one day use that software, but only if it were not a crime.

Do you know why the phone is locked? It seems that it’s a contract phone. But I can’t think of any country where contracts are used with replica phones. I know that Thailand has a very poor and overpriced mobile network – it’s designed to exploit tourists. And I’ve heard of contracts over there – perhaps the phone was stolen locally and then resold? Or more likely, it was stolen from a Chinese tourist. Cell phone theft is very common around there. In your friends case, by selling him a locked phone, they also defrauded him of his money.

You have excellent computer skills – I think you will find an answer of some kind very soon. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes open for a possible solution. You have already done a great deal – your friends should be very grateful that you have provided them with an answer.

• DalSan M

Unlocking cell phones have civil penalties of no less than $200 but no more than $2500. Criminal penalties are up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment for the first offense, up to $1,000,000 and 10 years imprisonment for each subsequent offense. With the new bill being viewed, the Unlocking Technology Act, the DMCA ruling should be overturned very soon. Jail-breaking or rooting cell phones are still legal to do (at least for the next almost 3 years where it goes under review again).

As far as custom ROMs go, “cooking” one may be the best route since finding a compatible custom ROM is almost impossible for these types of devices. But again, this won’t help the unlocking situation. Hopefully there is someone familiar with this type of phone and how to unlock it (again, strange that it isn’t unlocked being that it is a Chinese phone).

Having sound advice, experience, and the power of Google (even professionals use it for their questions) makes one seem like an all-knowing IT guy to our less knowledgeable or experienced friends. But, this proves how much IT specialists are needed in the world, and drove me into going to college to become one. As you have said, we cannot know everything, so this is a never ending learning process.

Lucky to be based in INDIA, as unlocking is not unlawful here. :)

if it is fake then perhaps the info also are faked, tempting unlock/flash can render the phone beyond recovery.