How to install Wine compatiblity layer on Fedora?
Question by Shashwat Singh Parihar /

Downloaded wine-1.4.1.tar.gz (not from respiratory), extracted in /tmp folder and what now?

If that’s not the step to install it, what’s the ‘correct’ step for Fedora 17? My college WiFi does not allow me to download from software center, so tell me complete steps in terminal window to install it.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Danny Stieben

You should be able to install it using the following command in a terminal (which is much easier):

sudo yum install wine

Unless you have other needs, this should be enough to get you going. Any other Wine-related packages are named wine-xxxx, with xxxx being replaced by whatever the component is, whether it’s desktop or alsa support.

• Daniel Huss

First of all it kind of odd that your college blocks the software center. It would be worth calling your campus IT department and ask them to unblock or whitelist it. They shouldn’t have a problem with that.

Next you can try “yum install wine” at the command line which is should do the install from the fedora repositories. This might be what your campus is blocking…

If that doesn’t work I’m assuming you downloaded the source tar file. If that’s the case wine has the install from source instructions here:

Hopefully one of those should meet your needs.

• Jan Hovancik

in case yum is not working, you gonna have more troubles, as wine will need some dependences.

anyway, why your wifi doesn’t not allow it? can you be more specific?