How to I unlock an iPhone 4S?

Tech geek January 31, 2013

I am buying an iPhone 4S from the UK. I live in India and I would like to unlock it – can I unlock it for free?

1. Sam Chise

Actualy there are tons of methods for iPhone unlocking. To process with ony of them you should first need to know your iOS and baseband version. Because each unloick exploit based on iOS and bb. You can also read more here: http://www.letsunlockiphone.com/iphone-unlock/ about all possible methods

2. gs ms

If the service provider did not response you then you can get it unlocked from online providers itself. Search in http://www.google.com/

3. gs ms

You can contact your service provider.

4. Anish Parameshwaran

Sometimes, many of the phone service providers are able to unlock it for you at no cost.

5. Jagbir Sembhi

you can buy factory unlock and if you buy factory unlock its done through apples servers so your phone is unlocked forever.

6. Jagbir Sembhi

Get ready for iOS 6.1 Jailbreak for Iphone 4s, iphone 5, ipad, ipod
    http://avinashtech.com/get-ready-for-ios-6-1-jailbreak-for-all-devices/

8. brenobs

wait until sunday, a group of nerds called evad3rs is releasing an universal jailbreaking tool. you find news on twitter at @evad3rs

9. Christian De La Serna

If you are interested in the jailbreak unlock route, you can check http://unloc.kr/. It has up to date information for unlock on iphones and currently there is none working for the 4s.

If you are going the carrier route, then you should check if your carrier can and will unlock your phone. There are hundreds of carriers with different policies on this. A quick online search and local research might give you the answers how to go about getting your phone unlocked by your carrier.

There are also online unlock services that are doing this. I have friends that have unlocked their phones through some of them (Android). I don't know anyone though that have used these services unlock for iphones. Beware of this method because there are a lot of scams. Also there is not way to tell how they are doing this, legal or some sort of backdoor that can be patched in the future. caveat emptor.

The final method is selling you locked one to get a factory unlocked version. This will cost you more but one of the safest and reliable method. Not a true unlock method but good workaround none the less.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Hmm, I read one article from Gizmodo (link above) though I'm not sure about the success rate. I'm not encouraging anyone trying online unlock not just because of the scams. They could probably sneak in some spywares into your phone as well.
      How do you get the factory unlocked version?

• Christian De La Serna

Apple Stores usually have a factory unlocked version for sale. These cost more than your subsidized phones from carriers.Other retailers might also have factory unlocked ones but not really marketed heavily to consumers as they are more expensive and they have deals with carriers.

unlocking and iphone 4S can only be done through the carrier. jailbreaking and unlocking for 4S is not available at the moment.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Gizmodo does have one tutorial for unlocking, and I believe there are tutorials for jailbreaking it somewhere there too.

11. Yiz Borol

I'm pretty sure that most EU countries require that all smartphones be unlockable, either by request or automatically. If you're picking it up in the UK, speak to someone there to make sure it's unlocked. Otherwise find out what the laws about unlocked phones are for India, it could be that they'll unlock it for you.

• muotechguy

Nope. The provider who sold you the phone will only unlock it if it's out of contract, and you would need to pay a fee. I don't think a random thrid party can even do this - it would need to be the original account holder.