How to get WiFi that is miles away?

Grant Allen May 14, 2013

I live in a weird place in my town. I have slow expensive DSL, but neighbors all around me, to the north, south, east, and west have access to faster/cheaper internet. My work is just under 2 miles away from my house.

Is it at all possible to somehow use that WiFI signal in my home?

Jan makes some excellent points. I once had a similar situation with a costumer, and the solution we eventually worked out was to work with a neighbour who had a better connection (they were just that bit closer to the exchange) and set up a WiFi bridge between their house and my client's facility, in return for payment for access.

2. Jan Fritsch

Technically there would be multiple options like directional radio or using a laser bridge. However bridging such distance requires hardware on both ends and is going to be somewhat expensive.

Unless you are running the company you will also have to get their consent to use the network for private matters and their cooperation in installation the necessary hardware at the workplace.

If all your neighbors have faster internet you should start asking why that is. Do they have a more expensive plan giving them more bandwidth? Do they use other technologies e.g. instead of DSL over the land line internet via cable or fiber.

If it turns out that things should be the same than it will be your job to make your provider understand and find the source of the problem. Sometimes just using a different port on the patch panel at the telephone exchange can make or break things. There could also be a cable fault somewhere along the line which technically can be pinpointed to 1 meter accuracy using various cable measurements and troubleshooting devices.

It's a problematic situation. Usually internet access is provided as best effort, meaning you get the best possible speed technically possible. So as long as your internet is working they would not be required to troubleshoot your speed issues.

3. Grant Allen

Thank! I actually have a dish that isn't being used. now my only two concerns are the distance and the obstacles (trees, powerlines, houses).

4. Chris Marcoe

That URL is deceiving. The article is actually how to get wifi from 1/4 of a mile or more. there is, though, good info in there.

5. Chinmay Sarupria