How to format unrecongnized USB drive?

André K May 12, 2013

I have used Unetbootin on my USB drive. It seems to have partitioned the drive in some way that it is not recognized anymore by any OS, and not even by the BIOS.

I mean when I press F12 to select a boot option, the drive isn’t shown whereas any USB drive bootable or not appears in this list.

I tried to use Gparted and OpenSuse’s partitioner, but none of them were able to detect the drive.

However, when I plug in I’m still able to hear that sound meaning that a USB device has been connected. On Windows, I can see the drive listed in the device manager but can’t activated it.

Can anyone help me?

1. Micheal00988484

try partition wizard. i used it once, the same condition, it worked well.

2. Avinash Mali

You can use Gparted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GParted
    which usually with Linux

3. null

When that occured to me I was able to fromat it with a tool from hp that I can't find anymore, but there is something that also works http://www.apacer.com/en/support/downloads/Repair_v2.9.1.1.zip

• André K

Hello,

Repair says "Disk not found"

Hello, when in Windows, have you tried formatting the disk from the Computer option? If not, you could try formatting and partitioning the disk from the disk utilities.

• André K

It's not possible as the disk is not recognized.

5. yudics

hi, Andre you can try like Paul Suggested, if your USB drive not listed in disk management, then chin up and say goodbye to your usb drive, there another way to run disk management by typing "diskmgmt.msc" on run boxes (windowsstartmenu->run). and if you have a computer with linux installed try to detect your usb drive from it, and delete all the files that you think could be a source of problems, in some cases there some programs that have ability to lock your usb drive for some reason, by copying special files to your usb drive..

6. Rocky Kkc

go to troubleshoot fix usb device
    go to cmd
    write these words.
    cd/
    format j
    after some time it will be ready.

• André K

7. Shiva Keshav P

You Can Try The Following Procedure: (in Windows 7 or Windows XP Environment)
    1.Fix the problem “USB Device Not Recognize”
    Sometimes when you plug in USB device in the port of your PC/Laptop, you will get a serious error message “USB Device Not Recognize”. To fix this problem follow the steps.

?Press Windows Key + R and type “regedt32.exe”.
    ?Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb.

?If the Usb key is not exist then create “usb” key under “Services”.
    ?Under “Usb” key create a new DWORD value. Right click on the right pain of the “Rgistry Editor” and select “New > DWORD value”.
    ?Rename this newly created DWORD value as “DisableSelectiveSuspend”.
    ?Right click on “DisableSelectiveSuspend” and select “Modify”. Put 1 in “Value data” field.
    ?Click on “OK”.
    Then Reboot Your Computer.
    You may Search the following Link:
    http://www.techtipsgeek.com/fix-major-usb-problems/2525/

8. Paul Pruitt

I think the card is toast. However try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management - > Disk Management and let it load. Look for the drive. If it shows, right click on it and choose format. If it doesn't choose the Action Menu -> Rescan Disks. Hopefully your drive will show up and you can right click and format it. It doesn't sound hopeful however.

yap if it toasted and baked then time to say goodbye:)

1) Start > Run and type: cmd, right click on it and choose
    2) on the black screen type--> diskpart and hit enter
    3) type : LIST DISK.
    4). Now select the offline USB disk using the next command SELECT DISK where disk_no is the offline USB disk number
    5. Now you have selected the offline disk. Now enter command ONLINE DISK.

maybe you need to format ir using Easeus partition master
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

• André K

Thanks for your answer, but it didn't work : when I type "LIST DISK", the USB drive appeas as "Disk2 - No Media - 0 B - 0 B". It basically means that it sees 0 B as available and free space, and "No Media" as status. Therefore the "online disk" command doesn't work : "Tho object is not found".
      Do you have another solution.

have you tried eseus partition master to delete the volume and format again?

• André K

No I haven't, is it possible to format something that isn't recognized by Windows? I'll give it a try though.

i saw some cases that worked for them, there is also boot disk in the prof version so it is independent from window, let me know if the free version will do