How to fix the camera on my Toshiba Satellite C650D?

Anonymous September 18, 2013

The blue light has gone off and whenever I try to start the program it says:

“Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer.”

I called Toshiba and they said the driver is corrupted and that I would need to buy a new one. I was hoping some how I could fix this problem without having to pay. Thank you for your help.

Lexmark X422 is a printer. Your camera is the the built-in model, and drivers should be available from support.toshiba.com. I broadly concur with Hovsep's advice (also with Toshiba, except you shouldn't have to pay anything for a driver). If the troubleshooter approach doesn't work, try the following:
    1. Roll back the driver. You'll need to bring up the Device Manager, expand the branch that reads "Sound, Video and game controllers" and locate the camera there. If it appears with an exclamation mark next to it, the driver is almost certainly corrupt. Double click on it, click on the /Driver tab and click [Roll Back Driver]. When the process is complete, close all the windows and restart the computer. Hopefully the camera will work now.
    2. If, rather than an exclamation mark on a yellow background, you see a red X, the device is disabled. Right click on it and choose "enable". It should work now (a reboot is not necessary, but probably a good idea anyway).
    3. If methods 1 and 2 did not work (roll back now available or did not fix the problem, or if the camera does not show up in the "Sound..." branch etc, you should try to download and install a new driver.
    For this you need the *exact* model of your laptop and of to know whether your copy of Windows is 32 bit or 64 bit.
    - For the exact laptop model, look on the underside of the laptop. You will find a little plaque there with a variety of numbers, including an extended model number (e.g. "Satellite C650D-BT2N11"). Note it down!
    - I assume you have Windows 7. RIGHT click on "Computer" and choose "Properties". You'll should be able to find the version of Windows 7 (32 or 53 bit) in the "System" area, under "System type:".
    - Now head over to support.toshiba.com, type your model into the search box and click [Go].
    - Click the /Drivers tab, and on the list on the left tick "camera" and your version of Windows. The choice on the right hand side will now be limited. If there's just one driver, click on it. If there's more than one, click the one with the latest date. You will be taken to a download page.
    - Read the description, [Download] the file and follow the instructions regarding installation (usually a matter of unzipping a file and sometimes, separately running a "setup.exe" file).
    - By the end of the process, the driver will have been reinstalled, and the camera should work, but as usual, you may need to reboot Windows before everything works normally again.

2. Igor R

If its a yellow triangle...try reinstalling the drivers.... If you running an older driver (lets say designed for win xp,but supports win7)...be sure to run setuo.exe as admin and in win xp mode... i got my camera working that way...

do you see the camera in Device Manager?
    try to reinstall the driver
    http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

• Eric E

Yeah it is in the Device Manager but it has a yellow triangle by it. The camera type is Lexmark X422.

right click on it and choose uninstall, do not delete, reboot and windows will install a new one. or download the driver from my first posy and install.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

• Eric E

I'm not sure what product series I have. It's a satellite C650D? The label is very hard to read. (thanks for all the help)

i think it should be this webcam driver for windows 7 32bit
      http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/webcam-20100517112415.zip?401605

• Eric E

After I click start and it downloads the application nothing happens. Should I go into the file and start the setup manually? I've done this before and it didn't help.

when you download the file setup exe it is in zip file (webcam-20100517112415), so you have to extract it you can do this with 7zip
      http://www.7-zip.org/
      after installing 7zip right click on your zip file and choose extract you will get TC30049700N so double click on it and follow the wizard