How can I enter download mode with my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon?
Question by Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda /

I was wondering how to put my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2 into download mode? I don’t know if my phone is the American or International version or something different.

The original method i tried was to turn my phone off and unplug it from the ac power plug as well as my computers usb port. Then i hold the home button, volume down button, and power button simultaneously. But no screen comes up and the phone just simply turns on. I have no idea what to do because everyone else has tried this with success except for me for some reason

• DalSan M

If you can go to a Verizon store or licensed dealer and there is a younger guy there, you could ask if he
    knows about people installing custom ROMs on phones. If he does, ask if he can get the phone into download mode for you. I have been to several T-Mobile stores and even the older staff has mentioned about people bringing in their phones and showing custom ROMs on their phone. They cannot turn you in for having a modified phone, so don’t worry. You can tell them you are having trouble getting into download mode, and heard that if it doesn’t get into download mode that it may be a knockoff, as well. I wouldn’t say not to trust that they would sell only real versions of phones since it is a licensed dealer, but let them know you just want to make sure. There are quite a few salespeople that modify their phones in order to install custom ROMs, just to let you know. If you don’t want to go to a Verizon store, you could try another carrier to ask about getting into download mode. Otherwise, find someone you know that has done things like this to see if that person can help. Even some phone repair shops may have suggestions or can show you.

I don’t have an S3, but I have a Note 2, so most of the suggestions should have worked. I have given most of the suggested ways of getting into download mode, other than trying the volume up button instead (which isn’t supposed to be the case, whether U.S. version or international version). I have found that several other people with Verizon S3’s have had trouble with getting into download mode as well, so you are not alone.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Ok. Thank you for the information. I will check in with them.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

@DalSan M Is there anything else I could possibly do regarding this phone? If we’ve exhausted every option other than replacing the phone, then should I follow through with the aforementioned alternative, which is replacing the phone with a new one? How would I know the replacement won’t be another Chinese knockoff? I wouldn’t ever have expected a licensed (I believe the store was licensed, considering it said “Verizon Wireless” on the banner above the counter) Verizon shop would sell me a fake phone… which makes me a tad bit worried about buying another one. Where should I buy my next phone? I don’t think Verizon would be a good place to buy it considering it was probably a Chinese knockoff. Perhaps I should buy it off of Amazon…? I’m not sure if buying a phone from Amazon will heighten the probability of the next phone that is not a Chinese knockoff. Do you think I should get a new phone at another Verizon store? What should I tell them? I don’t think it’s a good idea to tell them that the reason I want to replace my phone is because it won’t go into download mode. It might make them suspicious, and they’ll probably reject the replacement request. I know I’m getting a little carried away by this whole replacement option, but I want to know about it just in case I need to do that.

• DalSan M

Also, Metro PCS has the ability to flash Verizon and Sprint phones to work on their networks, so they may be able to help as well. Obviously you don’t want them to flash the phone for you, but they may be able to get it into download mode and show you.

• DalSan M

Where did you purchase the phone? If it isn’t from an official source, then it may be a Chinese knockoff, in which none of the methods for getting into download mode will work. Few people with Verizon S3’s have ran into the same issue, then found that the phone is actually a knockoff of the real thing.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I bought the phone at a Verizon shop in the middle of a mall. Not one of those stores but more like one of those miniature stores in the middle of the hall. What is a Chinese knockoff?

• DalSan M

A Chinese knockoff is a Chinese made fake version of the real thing. As long as where you got the phone is a licensed dealer, then it is less likely to be a fake version of the phone. It is rather strange that your phone will not get into download mode as the given methods should work, so long as the USB developer mode is turned on in the settings.

• DalSan M

Did you go into Settings, Developer Options, and checked USB Debugging? How long are you pressing all three keys? The best way to do it is pressing the volume down+ Home keys before pressing the Power button, then hold all three keys until the Download Mode screen appears. Before trying to get into download mode, make sure the device is powered down completely and wait at least 5 seconds, then try it. Also, make sure that all three buttons are pressed firmly or else it may fail to get into download mode.

• Kay Fritz

I´m not sure what you want to accomplish with that? Do you want to upgrade/update the firmware?