How to enable mobile users to follow your page on sms?

DrSunil Vaswani April 25, 2013

IMPORTANT: Question is not about setting of own mobile for receiving sms notifications but for any mobile user to follow page updates via sms, i.e. follow + to the Google number (command to follow pages on sms).

There is option for notifications delivery sms in page settings. But that is not question.

1. DrSunil Vaswani

What is eligibility criteria for sms-follow to be enabled on Google Plus page?
    It's terms page viz., http://g.co/followtos mentions "eligible" pages ( indicating only eligible pages can be followed on sms ). Pl mention websources for your answer as to what are eligibility criteria/e

2. Abed Shalashtien
    • DrSunil Vaswani

Is there a single code for sms-follow in India?

3. Justin Pot

Twitter can do something like this. Set up a Twitter account for your blog, then leave instructions for people to follow the site using SMS.

The instructions are simple. For example: to follow me using nothing but SMS you need send "follow @jhpot" to the number 40404.

• Justin Pot
    • DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks for your interest in my questions

sms-follow option is available ., For eg. on the following Google Plus page itself the sms command to follow is displayed and I could confirm following this page on sms on my mobile : https://plus.google.com/b/109569619668355615026/+m-indicator/posts

But when I tried to do for a page which I created I got error on sms while using the follow command. The page is https://plus.google.com/b/109569619668355615026/109569619668355615026/posts/p/pub

• Justin Pot

Yeah, I'm thinking they're paying for that setup somehow. Twitter is the only option I know of where you don't have to build an elaborate system – Twitter built the system for you. Your other option is to call the phone company in your country and try to work something out, but it's sure not going to be cheap. That's my guess, anyway.

• DrSunil Vaswani

Can you show faq weblink mentioning payment for sms-follow public Google Plus page posts?

Does twitter sms-follow require each mobile user to have account with their same number registered in twitter account for following public posts?

and can you mention twitter faq for the sms-follow option?

• Justin Pot

Those following you using Twitter SMS don't need to have an account. As to your other questions: I'm not sure what you're asking for. So far as I knew Google Plus itself does not offer an SMS-follow option, but apparently that's wrong. I'm not sure I can help much with this.

• DrSunil Vaswani

hi

The Google sms-follow does work but with not with both the pages. Can you quote reference which mention that Google Sms-follow is paid service?

Is there a single code for mobile users of all operators to follow public posts on Twitter in India?

• Justin Pot

I'm sorry, sir, but I'm afraid I'm out of my depth here. I don't have a specific reference; I thought the site you linked to was using some third party service. And I don't know if Twitter uses a different code for India. I hope you find the answers you're looking for...

• DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks Justin

Its fine. You may address me as Sunil.

Well I even tried to follow makeuseof Google Plus page and could sms follow. I think it is not third-party app as the follow sms number is of Google itself which it used in it's sms channels to follow. But on following my page Cmeupdate it says invalid +page