How to earn points on MakeUseOf after the changes?

Catherine M July 2, 2013

With your recent changes to your site, how do we earn reward points now?

1. Justin K

I understand that we get 1 like on each of the big 3 social media networks - but how else do we get points? Didn't commenting used to get points?

• Catherine M

I don't think commenting gets anything anymore.

It is confusing at best, sometimes I get points for liking and sometimes I do not.

2. Omstavan S

Do we get points if some one visits a post through a link we shared on some social media?

3. Catherine M

There is not even a facebook share button - just the "like" button. But unfortunately, the like button does not allow me to comment on why I want my Friends & Family to read the article. And to me, the "reasons" that I share an article are important to me and to them.

• Tina Sieber

Catherine,

When you click the Like button, a window comes up where you can add a comment and share the post on Facebook. It’s an all-in-one solution, so you can either like or both like and share the post. And you can also un-like an post after liking it. :)

Here is a screenshot:
      http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Like-and-Share-Post.png

• Catherine M

Tina, what I have found is the comment does not show up on the FB TIMELINE. Just the like (picture & link) shows up.

• Tina Sieber

They do post to my Timeline. Did you maybe not authorize MakeUseOf to post to your Timeline?

• Catherine M

Tina, the LIKE posts to the timeline, but not a comment I would normally make to go along with it.

• Tina Sieber

I tried it. When I add a comment and click to post to Facebook, it does post the article with my comment to my Timeline.

As I said, maybe you didn't grant MakeUseOf permission to post to your Timeline at one point. Not sure what else the issue could be.

4. Saumyakanta S

I am not getting points for sharing ..

• Catherine M

There is not even a share button! Why not?

• Tina Sieber

You should be receiving points for sharing if you are logged in. There is a daily limit, though.

5. Alan W

Yep, it used to be straight forward but now its a whole new ball game. My points havnt moved in days and days despite answering questions frequently.

• Justin Pot

Yeah, there are some bugs to be worked out yet. Stay tuned, because James is keeping busy. The new system will prove to be better for everyone in the long run.

• Chris M

Not everyone. Specifically, not those who were gaming the system.

yap points do not go fast forward compared to past system, at least they don't go backward do inactivity:)

• Tina Sieber

With the new system we cannot issues points for Likes. That's a bit of a downer, but we're hoping to replace that with other ways to earn points. As Justin said, James is super busy and we are going through a significant transition, so unfortunately, this can't be a priority right now.

6. Dave P

There are tougher daily restrictions to prevent the system being gamed, but there are also new ways of gaining points being added in the future. Watch this space.

The means of earning points does not appear to have changed much, just the limits that are set to prevent gaming the system. So commenting and sharing on social networks is still adding to the total as is following/liking on your social networks.