How to disable “unimportant” processes without conflicting Windows or other software related to speed up Windows 7?

Erlis Dhima November 11, 2012

I was thinking how to get all the info related to the running processes, disabling the unwanted processes, so that Windows gets a little faster! I don’t want that a disabled process create conflicts in Windows or make a program work with bugs!

Thanks in advance!

1. Joel Jacob
  2. Gaurav Srivastava

go to start menu & type "msconfig". then click "service" uncheck those programs you dont want to use and click apply. this will surely speedup your pc.

3. dhanunjayarao chunduri

1. Right-click on Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a new window. Now go to Services & Applications -> Services. You can also open the same from Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Or you can directly open "Services" list by providing services.msc command in RUN or Start Menu search box.

2. Now you can set the unnecessary services to DISABLED or MANUAL. Just double-click on any service and select the desired option in Startup type list box.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your comment! I will try this option...

You can also remove many unwanted processes that do run behind while they get registered to run upon startup of Windows.You can edit those items(i.e. remove the unwanted) by typing msconfig in RUN window or typing it in search of start button which will bring it.Then go to startup tab and edit it.

Note : - A system startup is required for changes to take affect.

• Erlis Dhima

I think I should investigate about the processes first, and than disable them! Thanks for your comment!

5. Rakesh Mishra

go to taskmanager and in that goto processes and kill the unimportant process

• Erlis Dhima

I have tried this! But I think I also got an idea from this right now! Thanks for your comment!

6. Boni Oloff

This is a complicated, since you need to know first what is the process making, so you wont make any trouble.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your comment!

Run Ccleaner and goto Tools/Startup rather than msconfig/startup because you can see full listing much easier. Check each item on internet to see if its realy needed. An example of an app thats not needed is Adobe Reader Quickstart. Then disable or deleate it. Also move your files off the desktop to folders such as My Documents, My Pictures, etc

• Erlis Dhima

Yeah, probably you are right about Adobe Reader Quickstart! Also I will try the other things! Thanks for your comment!

8. Jan Fritsch

Well, there is no safe way to disable services.

There are services that should always be "automatic", there are services than can be set to "manual". In both situation they will be started if needed.

If your system doesn't need a service it won't have an impact on it's performance in the first place ~ therefor there is no need to disable it.
    Those services that will have an actual impact on speed will also have an impact on it's functionality since they are obviously in regular use by Windows or some software.

• Erlis Dhima

Well, I think you may be right! But, I think some services are running all the time, even if I don't use the software related to those services.. And I think, probably, they slow down the computer..

• Jan Fritsch

Unlikely but a you are free to investigate.

For example you can take a look into Task Manger. Click on "View > select columns" and enable CPU time.
        use CPU time, occupy the processor. The higher this number the more active is the process and therefor "consumes" performance.

For services that are started but not active this time is usually below 1 minute which means they don't have an impact on performance. For such services you can also neglect the memory usage as these are the first processes to be paged [to the hard disk] in case you run out of physical memory.

If you find some process that is using "relevant" CPU time Google it's name and see what it's about ~ it may be one of those services that is not required but running. Just make sure to properly check it's purpose using multiple sources (at best the Microsoft knowledge base).

• Erlis Dhima

Wow! I really appreciate this advice! I think it might really work! I will take a look if it works!

9. Somaiya Ebrahim

you can delete unimportant processes by removing them from the windows registry. here are the steps:
    1. open Start, type in regedit and press enter
    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    3. you will see 2 subheadings 'Run' and 'RunOnce'. click on them and delete the keys that are unimportant. you can also put a colon or a " sign before a key to disable it if you dont want to delete
    4. you may repeat point # 3 for this too: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

hope this helps :)

• Erlis Dhima

Probably the right thing would be to disable them, not delete them, since they might be needed in the future!

• Erlis Dhima

Anyway, thanks for your comment!

if you have tuneup utilities (shareware) then this can help in that direction, you can try also soluto
    https://www.soluto.com/

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your comment! I will take a look at it! Maybe it will help a little!

try boot clean mode if you wish
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
        see which process are there not them, then follow above method to boot normally and take not of other process.

Here's a list of processes that can be safely set to manual: http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-services-that-can-be-safely-set-to-manual/

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Yep, that's a good list. There may be some more not in the list, but it's better not taking any risk.

• Aniket Singh

Agree with u......good list

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks Alan! That's the right thing I was searching for!

• Gaurav Srivastava

thnx! its really a great list.