How to delete stubborn & useless files in Windows 8?

mohit kumar December 31, 2012

I used a program which customizes Windows 8 ISO. It created a “temp” folder where it copied everything from c:\windows and c:\program files and thus is using almost 8 GB space.

I tried deleting it using Kakasoft’s Super File Shredder, but even after it shows “files deleted”, a new folder crops up with the same contents. Windows isn’t allowing me to delete files because it thinks they are system files, but they are just the copies, system files are safe and present in their actual locations.

Help please.

1. Ahmed Musani

try iobit uninstaller. it's free. uninstall using this software. hhopefully it should do that.

boot on a live cd locate the junk file and delete it.

Hello, have you tried checking the options for the program you used for modifing the ISO? Usually if you go into settings of program, it will show you the path to temp. files and it will give you an option to delete them if not needed. If the folder is being recreating after deletion, it means that they might be needed.

Also, have you tried deleting files in safemode?

• mohit kumar

I tried in safe mode also, not working. Unfortunately I deleted that program, so can't take help from that either.

Hello again, if you are sure your files are not needed you could try changing the extension name and then delete them. It might work. Let me know.

It is not that the file shredder software is not doing it's job, it is just that the customized iSO is again re-creating those folders and the way it has been customized, it expects those folders with the backup to be present. So, you may go on deleting the folders, however this ISO will re-create them. Either the nature of the ISO customization needs to be changed or you need to use a normal vanilla ISO and re-install your system.