How to delete cached memory in an ICS Android phone?

DrSunil Vaswani November 26, 2012

How to delete cached memory in an Android phone?
If cached memory for different apps is seen in section of “manage apps” – “downloaded” , “All”…… and below it shows See cached memory ……

1. Oprea Eduard George

Clean Master
    Gemini App Manager

Sunil,

In ICS, you can go to setting > application manager -> then tap on all -> then tap each application and then you will see the option of clear cache. However, this is a tedious process and not feasible, therefore you can install a cache cleaner, lot's of them are freely available in Google Play. I personally use two apps.

App 2 SD -> it serves the dual purpose of a cache cleaner and to list all apps that I can move to ext. SD card and helps me do that -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&feature=search_result

History Eraser + -> to remove app history -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.isnowstudio.historycleaner&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5pc25vd3N0dWRpby5oaXN0b3J5Y2xlYW5lciJd

Cacle Cleaner + -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.isnowstudio.cachecleaner&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmlzbm93c3R1ZGlvLmNhY2hlY2xlYW5lciJd

• DrSunil Vaswani

Liked

Hey Sunil!

There seems to be a large number of caches in an Android device - three that I'm aware of: the system cache, app cache and Dalvik-cache.

Most references to an 'app cache' refer to each app's individual cache. You can wipe these without root access by going to system -> applications -> manage applications.

Unfortunately, one of three caches is located in the protected systems directory (or partition), which means they can only be wiped with root access. I don't know of any app that can wipe a protected volume without root access, but here's one that is reasonably good at wiping app caches.

In this thread it's mentioned that the majority of space used in the system cache is taken up by app downloads. This can be cleared by going to settings -> applications -> manage applications -> Market or Play Services -> Clear Cache.

I have also heard of a 'system cache', which should be the same thing as a cache partition. Anyway, this should be in a protected region of the operating system and therefore would require root access to wipe (I think).

Then there's the Dalvik-Cache. The Dalvik machine is basically the modified Java emulator that Android uses to execute most apps, although natively coded apps do exist for Android and they might have a separate location for cache storage. Anyway, in in this thread there's information on how to clear the Dalvik-cache. Someone refers to it as a program cache similar to prefetch in Windows.