How to delete an old Facebook account if I fogot the username and password?
Question by Lily Tayamora-Esperanza /

My girlfriend and I want to delete her old account. It makes me feel sad every time I see it. The picture of my girlfriend and her ex boyfriend is there. I want to delete it permanently.

She’s really my girlfriend. And my wife to be. I don’t know how to delete an old account. Please help me. Please. I am not fluent in English. It’s hard for me to explain the issue. I just want to delete that account.

My girlfriend has an old Facebook account together with her ex boyfriend. We really don’t kow how to delete an account. She forgot the password and username. I am begging you to help us delete this account please.

[The text of this question was changed to become publishable. The author originally included the link to the account and asked for us to delete the account. We cannot do that, so I removed the links and the respective requests.]

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Dau

simply block her.

• debbie lewis

i would like to delete my facebook acct due to personal issues. I Have forgotten my password. Would or could you please help me?

• beenish lodhi

my x frnd changed my pasward nw m married and he uplodind fake pics and blacmailing me plz delet my accout

• MoHammad SHaan

You can delete your account by going to account settings of your profile, you will find there click link of account close.

• Mahesh Kumar

Just Mail to telling them that you have lost the password . I am sure you will know the username because without username you probably can’t see the picture. Tell them that you lost password and tell them the recent (last) activity as proof. They will help you to delete the account.

• Rob Hindle

This response will be little help to the original enquiry but for other readers…

Most people learn from their own mistakes. Smart people learn from the mistakes of others. Those who choose to repeat their own mistakes are idiots.

In this case the first learning point is – don’t post stuff on a public web page which you might regret at a future date. Remember that even deleted web content may be archived and still accessible by places like the Wayback machine .

Another comment specific to this question is that is says “…an old Facebook account together with her ex boyfriend…” So who is the legitimate account owner? maybe that old boyfriend is as legitimate a user as her, does she have the right to delete what is partly his? If they had a joint bank account would she consider all the money hers?

If the account contains abuse, or is offensive in some way it may be possible to get Facebook to suspend or cancel the account but if, as the question says, the only problem is that “seeing a photo of my girlfriend with her old boyfriend makes me sad”. Tough luck. I expect the old boyfriend will be sad to see photos of the new happy couple getting married too, that’s life.

This and many other similar postings on Make Use Of serve to underline how important passwords and security are.

There are plenty of places where these simple rules are repeated but here they are again, in the context of an example of someone suffering the consequences in the hope that they get a better targeted readership.

Don’t share your password with anyone, not even a current partner, if you split up s/he might take revenge by misusing that password.
    Make sure all the password reset options are in use and up to date. Common options are: your email address, a trusted friend email address, your (mobile) phone number, secret question and answer (not easily found answers like “name of your pet”).
    Use a unique strong password – life is a lot easier if you do that in conjunction with a password vault like Keypass or Lastpass.
    If possible use 2 factor authentication, Google offer this. At first it’s not easy to understand and set up but if you ever use public WiFi to access an account without 2 factor security, you might as well not have a password.
    I never cease to be amazed how many people are prepared to spend thousands of dollars on IT equipment then choose to save a few dollars by not buying a good commercial security suite. That seems to me to be like buying a car with no brakes.

If you forgot the user name and password there are many other ways you can access your account.
    You can find your user name and password using email address you have registered with.
    If you don’t know the email address you can get the username by entering you own full name and a friends full name.
    Or you can find the username by checking user’s profile .
    After you have found your username you can access your password by getting a reset link to your email, phone number or security questions.
    After you have recovered your password you can delete it by visiting this link:

• Paul Pruitt

Also, there was another post today about the same subject. Not exactly the same question but check it out:

Ha14/Hovsep referred to a great article with screenshots here at MUO:

• Paul Pruitt

1. Navigate to the account. click on the avatar to the right of the search bar up top. So the account you are trying to get rid on will say for example “Miguel and Sephie’s Facebook” with a little picture of the flag of Mexico or something. If you click on that, you will see the timeline of the account open up.

2. Next look at the address of the timeline. the last folder name is your account’s name. So for instance it could be:, where the Facebook account name is miguelsephie22.

3. Go here: Put in your facebook account name again and click search.

By the way you could have skipped the above and started here because there is an alternative to entering the user name which allows you instead to enter your girlfriend’s real name if that is what she used to open the account and her ex-boyfriend’s name or another friend of there’s or yours instead of the user name.

4. In the next screen put the radio button on the method of how: “How would you like to reset your password?” You may only have one choice. Hopefully you have access to the Email account or other method by which Facebook offers to allow you to reset the password.

If you don’t have access to any method such as an old Email address that Facebook can send you a password reset message, click on the link that says: “No longer have access to these?”. Then enter a new Email address and confirm it when asked on the next screen: “How Can We Reach You?”.

5. Once you can log into the account go to this page, and see if you can get through the screens:

Note before completely removing the account you might want to export all the data because it might contain some pictures and Emails your girlfriend still wants. What’s in the archive is: photos or videos she shared on Facebook, her wall posts, messages and chat conversations, her friends’ names and some of their email addresses. (Note: only included are email addresses for friends who’ve allowed this in their account settings.). What’s not in the archive is the friends’ photos and status updates, other people’s personal info, comments she made on other people’s posts.

To do that:

1. Go to the little settings cogwheel icon in the upper right when logged into your girlfriend’s old account.

2. Click General in the left-hand column.

3. Click on “Download a copy of your Facebook data”.

4. Click Start My Archive.