How to create an FM radio antenna for an Android device instead of using an earphones unit?

Drsunil V November 16, 2013

How to create a small FM radio antenna Android instead of using earphones unit to plug into the earphones socket? I’m using an Android 4.0 based mobile phone model – Canvas 2 A110.

I want to make an antenna using the built-in FM radio (NOT Internet radio) and not messy with earphones unit’s long wire

1. Guy M

You would still need the jack part of the earphones, to plug it in. Take a cheap set of earplugs, cut off the jack with at least an inch or so of wire left. Tape the end of the wire closed - for aesthetics mostly. Plug it in and try it.

If you wanted, you could solder a piece of copper wire to the earplug jack's wires to have a solid antenna.

Keep in mind that the strength of the reception is determined by the wattage that the broadcaster is using, and the size of the antenna you are using. So a shorter antenna means less reception.

• Drsunil V

Thanks! Nice answer

• Drsunil V

Appending a subquestion : The mobiles which have an extended antenna ( looking like fm radios with antenna ) wont require earphone plugging to use fm radio?

• Drsunil V

Appending subquestion : The mobiles which have an extended antenna ( looking like fm radios with antenna ) wont require earphone plugging to use fm radio?

2. Drsunil V

I prefer to make an antenna using the built-in FM radio (NOT Internet radio) and not messy with earphones unit’s long wire