How to create an ebook or emag to collect information for personal reference?

Katya S May 6, 2013

I do a lot of research. Sometimes the project/topic I’m working on is quite detailed and needs a book-like or reference manual structure to organize it – TOC, Sections, Chapters, Sub-chapters, etc. Then, when I need to refresh my memory on a specific topic, I want to be able to sort of pull the applicable reference book “off the shelf” so to speak and look it up.

A big caveat in finding a program to do this with is that the info. I would be inserting would be in different formats – some PDF articles, some jpeg, screen captures, even a handwritten note that I may have jotted down in a conversation with someone. And it would need to be amendable – I find an article 2 yrs later that I want to include & I want to be able to insert it.

These little ebooks or emags or whatever aren’t meant to be publishable or added to a blog, etc. Really, it’s just my own personal reference library – kind of like what a professor would create for a specific class he/she is teaching. Although I would like to print it out if I need to – nothing fancy, just a basic printout I could mark-up, etc. I would think Adobe would have something like this but I wouldn’t even know what to look for. And it probably would also be pricey. Someone in an older article mentioned Caliber???

I appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Katya S

1. Guy McDowell

All of those are good options. Or, if you do have a website or blog, there are several freeware Wiki applications available. Wiki's, meaning What I Know Is, are a great way to get you started gathering and classifying information in a way that is meaningful to you or others.

You could scan in documents like hand-written note, add hyperlinks to other resources, create a media library of images, videos, or PDF's. Just another option.

READ or DOWNLOAD: Your Guide To Scrivener, The Ultimate Tool For Writers
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/read-or-download-your-guide-to-scrivener-the-ultimate-tool-for-writers/
    perhaps it can help?

3. Harshit J

Onenote is the software you are looking for where you can group notes into books, folders, pages and sub-pages. You can insert anything you want in it. You can also see Right Note from MUO Rewards.

4. Erez Zukerman

To me, this sounds like a classic use for Evernote. Did you try it out? (It's free and pretty simple to start with -- we even have a guide for it here: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/how-to-use-evernote-the-missing-manual-full-text

Does that work?

• Harshit J

It would become too complicated and complex to organize so much information in many pages and sub-pages in Evernote. OneNote fits better in this case.

5. Rob H

Have you tried Microsoft OneNote?