How can I make an embedded HTML element that can send a text message?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani June 11, 2013

How can I make an embedded “send me SMS” box in a web page through HTML formatting? Which services help user to make a code which can be embedded in a web page region open for html input

1. Dr.Sunil Vaswani

How to create such a code for users who reside in India?

2. Kay Fritz

Either with href sms or smsto. For example it could look like this:

To initiate an SMS:
    Send us an SMS!

This works only with a mobile browser, and even there some older browsers might no be able to support it.

I wonder why w3c didn´t add it as an Input Type??

• DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks!

Is it supported for all countries?

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

The code which you made does not allow user to compose a message

3. Rob H

You could use a normal email link with a destination address which is an email to sms service. In UK I use fax.co.uk but there are plenty of others - mail to [my user ID]@fax.co.uk arrives on my phone as SMS. I use it with a program that checks my websites are running and another that alerts me that I have a new message on my answerphone.

There will be a charge for each SMS and you could end up paying a lot to receive junk texts so better to use a form so the input can be validated (at least with CAPTCHA) then sent to SMS, that implies a simple program to process the message and that might also be written to split longer messages into a sequence of SMS messages.

I tried using a free alternative provided by my mobile phone service but it proved slow and unreliable.

• DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks!

Which countries does it work?

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani