How to convert existing Windows 8 x64 from BIOS to UEFI?

Pooky Joralyn May 17, 2013

I want to convert my existing installation to secure boot without the hassle of reinstalling everything. There are 4 partitions: 150GB (Windows partition), 50GB, 250GB, and the “reserved” 100MB partition, none of them are locked. I saw this but want to make sure that it will work: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx
Anyone can help me?

1. dragonmouth

@DalSan M: I wonder how much "secure boot" is about stopping piracy and hacking and how much is it about stopping Linux. "Secure boot" is at least a third attempt by Microsoft to "stop piracy and hacking." So far the only thing these initiatives have accomplished is to inconvenience honest users. The pirates and hackers always find a work-around in a short period of time and piracy and hacking is as rampant as before.

• Pooky Joralyn

Thumbs up, dude.

• DalSan M

I fully understand what you are saying, but companies like Microsoft try, and extremely miserably, to prevent the inevitable. I used hacking and piracy as their way of thinking it is protection, but then again, it is about making it harder for installing anything other than Windows. Freedom of choice and free thought are dying quickly in the digital age, but where there is a will, there is a way.

• Pooky Joralyn

Hmm, sometimes it's hard to install Windows either, like that stupid WGA.

2. DalSan M

When I was installing Windows 8 on my machine, I got a warning that the hard drive would not work for a similar reason and Windows would not be able to be installed, but I hit next and it installed anyways. Might work similarly for you, so it's worth a try.

• Pooky Joralyn

In my case, there was no Next. All I could do was move everything on the hard drive to an external one (via Ubuntu live CD) and just nuke it.

• DalSan M

This UEFI thing is such a huge headache! Wish it were easier and we could understand it better, but that is where they want to try and stop piracy and hacking. At least I was able to install Windows 8 without paying for a new license since the OS product key is embedded in the BIOS (bought a refurb desktop with wiped HDD for cheap).

• Pooky Joralyn

When Secure Boot Mode is on, I can't even boot from Windows CD (but Ubuntu is possible!). It seems like the culprit is the UEFI itself.

• DalSan M

I couldn't get Ubuntu to load in Secure Boot mode, and when it was off, I had to restart the computer over and over again until Ubuntu would either be seen or become bootable (the first day I tried, nothing would work at all, but leaving it off for a few days and then trying again somehow made it work). The UEFI and Secure Boot does not make anything easy.

• DalSan M

The OP posted the same URL and was trying to verify if it would work.

• Pooky Joralyn

Now, for some reason it didn't crash at step 4. Continued all the way down and the whole drive was stuck with GPT. Pop in the Windows CD and it said "Windows cannot be installed because it's in GPT style". Now the only choice left is to nuke the entire hard drive with Gparted and rebuild the partition table?