How to configure a WiFi router to work with a local ISP (specially for Indians)?

Kyem Ghosh June 16, 2013

I live a bit far away from Kolkata, India and have got BSNL and SITi digital cable broadband in reach to my house.

I would like to subscribe for the SITI digital one as the speed in my area is moderately good (my brother’s shop has got one). But I want the broadband connection to work with a WiFi router so that I can use my iPad as well as my computer to access internet.

Many say that the SITI digital broadband would not work with any WiFi router. So I ask is it possible to connect the ADSL to WIFI router to have wireless internet? If it is not then I won’t take it as I’m happy with my Aircel 3G and 2G and the Nokia with Joikuspot.

1. Kyem Ghosh

Thank you every one for your effort. Well, I found a very best idea to deal with these local ISPs to use it iPad, tabs and mobiles over wifi. What I finally summed up is to buy a second hand small netbooks (searching in quikr, olx, ebay can find me a lot) which may hardly cost ?4000-6000 with LAN ports and wifi connectivity and use it as wifi router to avoid th repeated log in problem!!

Kyem,

As already you have mentioned, you have two options, BSNL and Siti Broadband, however your preference is towards Siti. The two service providers use two different technologies to use their Broadband, BSNL use ADSL technology wgile Siti uses Cable broadband.

Configuring WiFi on a BSNL Broadband is simple and straiight forward. You need to just configure a ADSL WiFi router. Lot's of brands are available in the open market, like NetGear, LinkSys, Belkin, DLink, etc.

However, for Siti, I noticed that you are already in the discussion on Facebook with other people on a resolution. However, I can give a suggestion for it. If your Siti is connected to your laptop, you can use the WiFi adapter and configure a solution like Connectify Hotspot to share the internet with your WiFi devices. In case of a Desktop, but a USB WiFi adapter and configure the same solution suggested. they work like a charm. I use a similar setup with Alliance Broadband and my desktop with TPLink USB Wifi adaptor and connected my android smartphone via wifi.

Just one catch, for the wifi to be accessed. your host device has to be running and connected to the internet at that point of time. :)

• Kyem Ghosh

I know Raja da.. BSNL is too much flexible to configure and also the speed and price is good. But I don't want to get that hassel of land line connection. I'm from Basirhat, n Basirhat telephone exchange e shob boro boro sarkari diggoj bose thake. Had it been Kolkata circle, I would have taken BSNL.
      Next about the other side. I have a desktop with netgear n 150 adaptor and using it with Joikuspot for Nokia with aircel. Well this wold be very frustrating to keep the desktop on for using the internet on iPad as I do 90% of web surfing job in the iPad and thats why I bought it. Also I need to keep my emails updated. Alliance o sunechi khub valo. Oteo ki same problem as SITI? Shall I buy a mini laptop with lan connection (Well I don't know if I've got the money or not ;))

Siti and Alliance uses similar technology so setting up a WiFi should also be pretty similar in both cases. I searched Google with "wifi setup with alliance broadband router" and it threw up some very useful links on how to setup wifi with cable broadband. This should help you.

https://www.google.co.in/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=wifi+setup+with+alliance+broadband+router&oq=wifi+setup+with+alliance+broadband&gs_l=hp.1.0.33i29i30.4681.18335.0.21489.34.30.0.0.0.0.2828.18190.0j1j0j2j3j2j1j1j0j5.15.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.psy-ab.icn1SsOIA3o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48293060,d.bmk&fp=cb0f4f4c47aa750f&biw=1366&bih=705

3. Jan Fritsch

I tried to find any information on their service but I'm afraid I have no straight answer for you. I did read on one forum that other Indian providers using similar authentication methods only keep the connection alive for a few more minutes.

So without having any experience and details my guess would be that it won't last for long.

You mentioned your brothers shop has SITI digital ~ maybe you can test it there?
    Open up the browser on a computer, authenticate, close the browser. Open Skype, a mail program or whatever. If Skype stays connected or mails continue to be received it should work.

• Kyem Ghosh

thanks for your effort. As I've nt got any router yet so I couldn't check it in my bro's connection. Soon I would be borrowing my friend's router and would check...

4. Jan Fritsch

Having a single public IP (static or not) is no concern. Enabling multiple devices to access the internet via a single public IP is what routers are designed for.

The only (big) issue here is the captive portal SITI redirects to...

There are two possibilities I can think of:
    (1) Since the router usually doesn't make the private network visible to the public you should only have to enter the password once (per session, until a disconnect) on a single device. Then the router should be allowed to access the internet and therefor all devices behind it.

(2) The captive portal goes by something else e.g. MAC/browser/device/hostname verification so you will get the captive portal on all devices and have to enter your password on each ~ which may cause issues if you just want to download emails on your tablet or phone.

In the latter case this unfortunately is a limitation on the providers end. There isn't much you can do on your mobile device to "automate" this step without hacking/rooting/jailbreaking your device and then doing some programming.

Frankly, the best suggestion I have is to contact their customer support and ask what the best solution is to use their internet also on your mobile devices.

• Kyem Ghosh

Well lets not talk about these people working for the ISPs, these are all dumb people and can help me with nothing!!!! I was suspecting the same problem of automatic retrieval of mails and all. We have BSNL here which is much flexible but it has a land line problem as if I need to take the connection, I need to subscribe for a telephone first. well it is not a big issue but I have to pay a monthly rental even if I donot use it. As I travel a lot, I may not be able to use the internet but still I'll have to keep on paying n this would be a total wastage of money. Rather I'm good with my mobile 3g n 2g..

• Kyem Ghosh

Surprisingly I'm getting no response from any Indian in this post.. :(

• Kyem Ghosh

Well Jan, I need to ask you a bit more. If I subscribe to this type of ISP like SITI, as I mentioned here, and use a wifi router. I connect my iPad to the wifi. Now when I try to browse, the page will be redirected to the SITI'S authentication page. Will this authentication procedure continue if I completely close my browser and open it again or will it be done once after the connection is established?? If it happens only once then it might not be a problem cz I may not disconnect my iPad from wifi after the authentication procedure..

Since,only you can see the SITI's web portal for login,you have to fiddle up to see the settings of its page.I also use similar type of internet connection and in that portal,I have seen a setting in which the connection can be kept active upon a certain period of time after which it would automatically logout after inactivity beyond that time.

You can keep using internet even if you close your browser.But you'll have to make sure that you reopen it before it logouts automatically which you can configure as I mentioned above.

• Kyem Ghosh

Hmm.. Yeah!! I was suspecting the same... I need to log in frquently.. Hectic!! N I found the alternative for it... Its my very own idea..

5. Jan Fritsch

Usually the interface between the ADSL modem and your computer is a simple Ethernet connection. Whether you hook up a computer or a router shouldn't matter.

What you do have to look out for is whether the modem initiates the connection by itself or if it requires a PPTP, PPPoA, PPPoE client behind it to do the "dial-in" which the router would have to support then.

• Kyem Ghosh

Thanks Jan, well I must describe my problem a bit more. After posting this question here, I have been searching about the same in some Indian tech forums and there I got confirmed that it will work with a wifi router. But, the problem is that the ISP provides single static IP and when connected directly to pc, no matter what browser you open, the server directs to the SITI Digital webpage for entering the password and authentication and you can't close the browser till you use the internet. As per the forums (where they didn't mention about the wifi usage in tablets or iPad or phones), they said that they can use the wifi in several computers but first they needed to log in indivisually with the procedure I mentioned. I need the wifi especially for my iPad and sometimes my phone for skype.