How can I configure a voice assistant on Windows Phone 8 to enable microphone key on the phone’s keyboard?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani June 12, 2013

How do I configure a voice assistant on Windows Phone 8 to enable microphone key on the phone’s keyboard?

1. DalSan M

In Settings, there should be a Speech option. Within the Speech settings, there should be an option to disable voice prompts or some speech-to-text option to disable. Otherwise the setting may be in the messaging app.

• Dr.sunil V

I checked both language settings and messaging settings but not resolved auto voice prompts

• Dalsan M

Have you tried the Speech settings? I think it is under the "Ease of access" settings. In Speech settings, there should be a "Play audio confirmations" checkbox and underneath is a list box for "Read aloud incoming text messages". I would try these settings and see if it stops the text messages from automatically being read.

• Dr.sunil V

Yes you are correct
      The speech settings allows to stop voice for incoming message

2. DalSan M

From what I understand, you have to go into the Speech settings, make sure that the Enable speech recognition service checkbox is selected, select the language you wish to use, then it should prompt you to install the "New language pack". Let me know if this works for you or not.

• Dr.Sunil V

The procedure which you mentioned worked to download language.

3. DalSan M

Is there not a microphone button under the keyboard like pictured on this page http://m.wpcentral.com/microsoft-shares-secrets-keyboard-windows-phone-8? The keyboard itself won't have the microphone button, though hundreds of people complained and suggested to Microsoft to implement it. I don't have a Windows Phone 8 device to test anything out, so I'm not sure if the microphone feature is only available for certain apps like email. Otherwise, pressing the Windows button for a few seconds should bring up the speech recognition option.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Yes it is correct that long pressing the main middle soft key ( below WP8 phone screen ) enables speech recognition

But it says that until the newest speech package is installed it would not enable speech recognition

• DalSan M

Here is more information about the voice recognition feature: http://m.wpcentral.com/voice-controlled-guide-using-speech-windows-phone-8 When the notification pops up again about installing the speech package, select settings and follow the prompts to install the correct speech package. Once installed you have to restart the phone in order for the speech package to be recognized, then you should be able to use the speech recognition.

• Dr.Sunil V

Thank you!

The settings section after prompt for voice package asks for new package to be installed but does not display option to install

• Dr.Sunil V

Appending a sub-question : After it has been installed it automatically converts sms into voice.
      Is there a setting to disable it?