How should I upgrade my PC?

Daniel P October 3, 2013

I have already asked question before, but it was long time ago. I’m thinking about upgrading my PC and from last answers I chose to upgrade my GPU from GT520 to HD7770, I am still thinking about the CPU because in the last question people have answered that I should upgrade to a A8-3870k, but I had a look around and asked few people and they said it is not worth to upgrade to a A8-3870k because it is not good. I’m looking for good performance in game and also I do YouTube gaming channel so my PC need also to be powerful enough to handle programs like FRAPS. Thank you for any help ! And here are my PC specs.:

Processor: AMD A4-3300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.50 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
Motherboard: ASUS F1A55-M LE
RAM: 4GB

I can spend £100-£150 on CPU and GPU or I can upgrade one now and the other one later.

1. Harshal T

If you are thinking of getting HD7770, then try their Phenom ll series quad core or six core or go for their 8 core bulldozer processor and if you don't wann a buy separate graphic card, then try A10-6800k.

If you intend to upgrade the processor only, and not the motherboard, than I agree entirely with Dalsan. However, the difference in performance will be modest, so perhaps you should save up for a complete motherboard/CPU/RAM replacement.

In that case, I'd recommend an Intel i5, in which each of the cores is substantially faster than in the A8, so you would get a significant performance boost and that setup is likely to be good enough for a long time to come.

The A8 actually has decent graphics (I'm writing this on an A8 system and can tell you I'm happy with the graphics and dissappointed in the general performace!). With the i5 however, graphics performance is good enough for videos, YouTube etc, but not that great for gaming, so a separate card (the fastest you can afford) may be in order.

So, if you don't want to spend all the money just now, the answer may be to invest in a good graphics card now, and a new motherboard a little later, when the general performance of the motherboard becomes too much of a bottleneck.

for game performance better graphic card better game experience, now if you are more concerned with desktop application then CPU is essential.

• Matjaž M

Not necessary true. Depends on game. Some games (flight simulators) are more CPU dependent. And GPU "only" adds to eye candy.

true simulators do like more cpu

• Oron J

Matjaž, this is a valid point, BUT the main challenge nowadays is usually in the graphics. Those games that are not graphics heavy will normally cope even with older processors, and an A4 would cope with most games fairly well, so there will be few games indeed that would saturate an A4's general processing while not stressing the graphics.

correct challenge is mostly on the graphic parts but if simulatore is involved then cpu plays also a good part

From the last time you asked about upgrading your computer, you have to upgrade your processor to a quad core in order for Battlefield 3 to run without lag or stuttering issues. It would be best to upgrade to an A8-3870k or an Athlon II x4 651k since these are the maximum you can upgrade the processor to. As I mentioned before, both processors are essentially the same in performance, but the A8 has the GPU built in. The Athlon II x4 651k may be cheaper, so I would go with that. If I could suggest a better processor that would work in your motherboard, I would. Unfortunately, your motherboard is a socket FM1, and only supports specific older model processors. The Trinity series APU uses an FM2 socket, and Phenom II or the AMD FX series processors aren't supported on your motherboard.