How should I install a program on one machine so it can be moved to (and will work with) a different PC, drive and/or directory?

Joseph Videtto June 28, 2013

What’s the best way to load a program on one machine if I want to move it to another, where it may end on a different drive and/or directory ?

I use a small audio program that allows me to import mp3s, mark start and end points within a song, and then replay the parts in each song. It saves these settings – I don’t know where.

When I want to move this programs along with the 1.) associated mp3s, 2.) program config info, and 3.) program to another computer, I can’t do it with one drag and drop, which is what I’d like to do, because all 3 components are in different directories.

Assuming I want to move all 3 components to a new computer – assuming the original program and all 3 components are made to work from one drive letter – say “C:”, but on the new machine, I may want to:
a.) install to a different directory like F: or G:
b.) run from a USB drive – which is often randomly assigned a different drive letter depending on the config of the machine.

Thanks in advance.

1. Omstavan Samant

You can use the software portably by finding the program files and its registry files which you can copy to a usb drive, copy to suitable location and apply the registry entries. talking about associated mp3 files, you can find the settings where it stores the associated files, copy those files and put them somewhere on the other pc, and put in the address of the copied mp3s in the settings. It may work, or it may not. Knowing the name of the software can make us help you better.

2. DalSan M

The name of the application could help us better to figure a way to configure the software (if possible) to be portable, since this is in effect what you are looking to do. If the software requires registry items to run and/or certain folders that cannot be configured through the program, it may be difficult or unable to become portable. Not all programs can or should be converted to portable type application as some functions may not work properly or undesired results may occur.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this, it depends on the program. Some programs are inherently "wired into" a local installation, and can be difficult or impossible to transfer from one PC to another. Others don't write anything to the registry or to an external folder, and all you need to do is copy the application folder to another location (they are known as "portable friendly"). Still others are somewhere in the middle. Finally, some programs are available in a "portable" version which you can install on a USB drive and take with you.
    You can: 1) simply try to transfer the application folder onto a USB drive and test it on another computer; 2) look for a portable version of the application (e.g. Google "Portable Open Office" or whatever) and 3) attempt to convert it into a portable app, which you can do with software such as "ConvertAll Portable" (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/convertall_portable).
    Good luck!

not all application can be portable

PickMeApp
    http://www.pickmeapp.com/

Application Mover
    http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm