How much should I charge for building a website and one year maintenance?

Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi December 4, 2012

I’m supposed to build a website of around 30 pages with little flash content and also do updating of data every month. How much should I charge per year.

1. josemon maliakal

it depends on different factors like time,no of pages ,functionality etc etc

2. Serge Garcia

Ok - This is a tough one. To begin with, nobody can trully give you a price. And if they do, DONT TAKE IT. You will be risking some SERIOUS losses. What makes up the price? To begin with, research the hourly wages for web designers, and then maybe lower it accordingly to your skill.

Where I live, as a web developer its about $19 per hour, but considering my experience level, I could charge $10. I then get an estimate of how long it will take me, and then make an overall price to the site, plus any plugins etc it may need. I could charge around 100-170 USD for only the site, according to my effort, and then negotiate even making basic prototypes for it for them to chose what is best for it.

After that consider maintainance costs. How long are you planning to spend on its updates? how many days of the year are you sacrificing?
    keep all of that in mind, and allways remember you may have unexpected site crashes which you will have to compensate. Personally, for a 30 page site with heavy content, but little plugins sounds a pretty big task, having an average 1 hour per page, It would be little over $450 USD, and a very variable monthly fee. Error fixing could be little over $20 per month or less, while new pages need to be fixed in a signed contract.

This is MY case, you need to think yours accordingly. Research on job sites hourly wages, or even weekly , and divide them by hours worked, and find a price for your effort, as well as a way to sign it so no changes can be made. Good luck with that, and pardon my bad english

• Junil Maharjan

I totally agree with you.

• Douglas Mutay

Yessss! 100% agree too!

• Avish Kansakar

this is a really good way of doing it....i think this will help me when i make websites for others haha

i too agree...

• Charles Yost

Wow! I did a website for my wife's boss and it was only like $300 and her boss expects me to update the website for free. I should have had him sign a contract. I live in Indiana though, so I don't know how much difference that would be. My first real website by the way.