How much a it will cost to have a website ?

Goku S November 2, 2013

Hi, I am thinking of starting a web site for gaming and techcial things. So I want to know,  what will be the cost of a web site? Or should I design my web site by my own? But the probelm is I don’t have any knowledge about a website creation, so guidr me what to do and how to do.

1. Peter Guarnaccia

All free at least. Webs.com is a cheap and easy web building site if only it had more complex templates and layouts.

2. Peter Guarnaccia

I'd build host and manage your site. A good website is howstuffworks.com. It'll give you all the info domain searching, source code, themes for WordPress, securing your server, try and manage your site with little to no money.
    And if you want to build a forum use a Simple Machines forum or phpbb or phpbb2 OR the truly professional vBulletin or "Jelsoft enterprise."
    Or forum up.com is pretty good.

3. steve

The costs you can't really avoid are domain name and web hosting. You usually buy these as a package and most web hosts will include a free domain name. Expect to pay around $5-$10 per month.
    USA hosting tends to be cheaper than UK hosting but hosting location can be important so don't just choose the cheapest.
    If you have a site built by a designer then £600 is probably a good ballpark figure for a small 5-10 page small business site (not ecommerce). You will then probably need to budget for ongoing page edits,upgrades etc
    If you want to build your own website then you can avoid these costs.

4. Kev Q

If you're just starting out, I'd say it's best to teach yourself as you go along. It will save you money, and will be more rewarding for you in the long run.

In terms of setting it all up. I'd go with James' advice here. Get an available .com or .net domain (if you're paying more than $15, you're paying too much). Get some decent hosting from a reputable host - James recommended Media Temple to me a while back, I also think he's working on a full review. I've been testing them, and they're really good. This costs $20 a month for the "Grid" hosting. It's by far the best shared hosting I've ever used.

Once you have that, set up a WordPress site. Don't waste your time with the tonne of free themes out there. Head over to Theme Forest and buy a well-made WordPress theme, this shouldn't be any more than $60, but it's REALLY worth it and your visitors will notice the difference. Once that's done, you should be ready to go. Once WP is set up and your theme is installed, the rest is pretty self-explanatory, or can be easily learnt through Google or the WP community.

I'd also recommend swatting up on your HTML and CSS skills. Code Academy (http://www.codecademy.com) is a really great, free resource for this, that will take you through all of the basics, and even some medium-advanced coding.

You could pay hundreds of dollars to get a web designer to create it for you, but you won't learn a thing, and you won't know how your site is set up. Plus, where's the fun in that?

Web design is awesome, and really rewarding. Making a site yourself, and watching it grow to a successful online resources is a really, really great feeling. Good luck!

5. Harshal T

It totally depends upon a what kind of website you want and the comapny. Type of website means you want just a simple template or a whole new website plus the nuber of pages and the complexity of a website, cost of a hosting, if they host it on their own server otherwise you will have to look for someone else, who will host it for you with a less price. Website Company because, the good brand name will give you great services. If you want you can check out here http://www.umpaweb.com/

6. Cindy S

Yes. I have already registered a site. It's international online retailer. About cost me ?100 because i want the storage space. If you want not this storage space, you can registering lower price domain.
    The domain price different dot com/.org/.net/.zet/.ca/.la/.info/.ar/ Of course the dot com is the most expensive.
    Most of the price between ?20-$100.
    You can choose differrent site buy the domain.

7. Nikos T

For Starters i would recommend you to write a Blog , to create your page . It's easy and totally free . Blogger and WordPress have very nice templets , with a little tinkering you will be able to have your place on the internet. Go a give it a try

There are several costs associated with a web site: designing it, registering the domain and hosting it. There are also different ways to design and host a site (using a web site builder, self hosting, hosting at home...), ,so it's impossible to give a comprehensive answer. Still, here are some pointers.

At the cheapest, you can get a web site up and running for nothing (e.g. at wordpress.com or weebly.com). Essentially, you choose a design from a template, and add pages to create your site. These sites use a CMS (content management system) so to edit the site, you just need to log in via a web browser and make the changes onoline. Free sites are usually limited in some way, such as preventing you from using your own domain name (for the examples above, you will have an address that will end with ".wordpress.com" or ".weebly.com").

Domain registration in itself is usually quite cheap (starting around $5 per year for cheaper domains, and rising to, say $50 for more sought-after domain names), but the free services will require you to pay extra to change the domain name, so let's say that the cheapest solution with a domain name of your choice will cost, say, $50-100 per year.

You can move a upmarket a little with those sites and similar ones, and add other features (picture galleries, adverts, ecommerce, password protected pages etc) and the price will go up.

These are really good solutions if they provide everything you need, since the companies deal with the design and maintenance side, and with the bandwidth, so once you're set up all you need to do is edit the content. However, if the design doesn't suit you or you require features which are not available on those platforms, then you'll need to have the site custum designed and arrange hosting on a server. By your own admission you are not a designer, so I suggest you'll need to hire a designer to do this for you. Costs vary widely, not only between designers, but also according to the requirements of your web site! A simply site may cost a couple of hundred dollars, a more sophisticated one will cost a lot more (I recently commissioned a site for a client which cost around $3000). The hosting, though, will probably be in the order of $100-200 per year (including the domain name). If your site's bandwidth outgrows the hosting package then you may need to upgrade it and pay more, but hey - you're obviously doing really well! So let's not worry about that right now.

• James B

I'm not sure why you think "good" domains cost more. If you're talking about buying one that's already registered, that's more likely in the thousands, but a one-off payment. You can still come up with any domain you like that's available for ~$10/year though - there's no variable price range. You can find "good", but recently expired domains through sites like http://justdropped.com, but they can all be registered for the same price as any new domain - it just helps you to find some that have been forgotten about.

I'd also steer well clear of "website designers" - you can choose from hundreds of amazing premium templates on http://ThemeForest.net for about $55 each.

Oh, and if some SEO guy promise you the top spot on local Google searches, you should ignore them!

• Oron J

James, what I mean is that .com and some other TLDs are more expensive than other TLDs, and that short domain names can be expensive, if you can get them at all. For example (from namecheap):
      jqz.com taken
      jqz.xxx $84.89/yr
      jqz.tv $24.99/yr
      jqz.me $8.99/yr
      jqz.org.uk $6.58/yr
      jqzlongnamezqj.com $10.69/yr
      jqzlongnamezqj.org.uk $6.58/yr