How might one convert a DRM-protected M4V file to a MP4 file?

David Hallengren December 17, 2012

I have a couple of files from iTunes that I’d really like to put on a flash drive to give to a friend, who wants to put it on her Android tablet. I have tried multiple options, but I have come to the conclusion that I must be overlooking something elementary. Please try to keep the options free (and non-trial, if at all possible) – after all, this is just a favor.

1. Sashritha Peiris

If you want the super hard and tedious but free way use a screen caputure program like jing of quicktime to record the entire movie as a screen record. Then you can use SmartConverter off the app store to convert it to M4V

2. Robot Parker

Seems NoteBurner M4V converter work fine for me. Though the conversion speed need to be improved, the output video quality is really good. Now I even can put my iTunes movies and TV shows into my Nokia Lumia 920 for playing - convert and then transfer.

Is that legal?

4. Meilin Dai

Actually,I have used one free trial of Leawo and it is not that bad as you imagined.You can easily do the conversion.The conversion is good except that there is watermark on it.But the quality is really good.

If you have no other choice ,I think you can check out this one.And you can easily find the guide on their website.

Wish you good luck!

5. Alisa Fish

For a Mac user with video converting problem.
    you can use a video converter ultimate to solve that.
    and here is the video converter ultimate I have used for weeks.
    easy to handle and useful. take a look.

6. Shirley

But I don't think Handbrake is able to convert the DRM protected movies. And a while ago, when I was looking for such a DRM removal tool, I also thought of Camtasia. But unfortunately, it still can't capture the DRM protected movies from iTunes. The screen record will be blank and only with audio. So my suggestion to you is to find some professional DRM removing software to convert your iTunes movies, like Tune4mac or Noteburner DRM Removal as mentioned above. I purchased Tune4mac and found it later that Noteburner may be the same program with it. From the same company? Anyway, I think you can try it.

• Robot Parker

According to your advice I did download the trial version of so called NoteBurner M4V Converter (Windows version). Click to add a rented movie from iTunes and wait for the converter work. Though the conversion is not so fast as the common video conversion, the output video quality seems to be kept really good. I think removing DRM would take much more time than just reencoding the codecs. General speaking, it satisfies me. I would like to purchase one. Thanks for your recommendation.

7. Carmen Qing

Here is a tutorial of how to convert DRM protected M4V videos to MP4, it may help:

8. Qin Tang

You may try the Noteburner M4V Converter, an introduction from Lifehacker:

9. Elrick Browne

or the hard way screen capture the video with camstudio or camtasia

that's nice

DRM-Remove Studio
    1. Download HandBrake with your OS (Windows, Mac, Lunix) and install it.
    2. Launch this freeware.
    3. Click "Source" in the upper left.
    4. Select the Title and Chapters you want to convert.
    5. Click Browse to choose where to save your file.
    6. Click"Add to Queue" to add more videos to convert.
    7. Click "Start" to get this job done.

• Mitch

handbrake cant convert dmr protected videos