How many security programs are too many?
Question by ryu S /

I have many security programs.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, and Super Antispyware.

I use Firefox as my main browser with the addons Ad Block Plus, Avast Web Rep, FlagFox, Flashblock, Mcafee Site Advisor, NoScript, Request Policy, and WOT for security.

I never shop on the internet. I also have Chrome with no extensions.

Should I uninstall any programs or addons?

• Schvenn Meister

I’ve managed technical support departments for multiple companies and personally provided this type of support for nearly a decade.

You should have Anti-Malware protection as well as Anti-Virus protection.
    The two are not always mutually exclusive.
    Commercial packages usually offer them together (Norton or McAfee).
    The free software packages are usually separate.

In my experience and I’m sure you will find that most technicians will agree, the commercial packages are horrible.
    They are system hogs, far too obtrusive and not everything they’re cracked up to be.
    They do their job okay for anyone who doesn’t have someone to turn to for help or know how to use a forum to ask for assistance, but if you have any aptitude or require any kind of flexibility or power from your system, then the free alternatives are usually equal to ore better than their commercial counterparts.

I do however, support the concept of purchasing the full versions of these “free” programs, because they have proven their worthiness, in most cases.
    This link will help you find the right fit: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

For real-time anti-virus protection I recommend one of the following, depending on the year, as each year, the respective parties play leap frog in regards to who offers the best protection:
    AVG
    Avast!
    Antivir
    MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) isn’t bad, but the others are usually better.

Again, the link above will help you determine who is in the lead from year to year.

For real-time Anti-Malware (Spyware/Adware) protection I recommend only one:
    Spybot SD (Search & Destroy)

Those programs are all called real-time protection because they are like the fire department and police. They’re on call 24/7 and sit in the background, protecting you and waiting for emergencies.

However, sometimes they are not enough and the “bad guys” still get through. That’s when you need to bring in the big guns, or the “SWAT Team” to help out.
    So, having a couple On-Demand Scanners in your arsenal also helps.
    For that I recommend BOTH of the following:

SuperAntiSpyware Portable
    MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware)

The portable version is better because it doesn’t require an install and therefore it is slightly harder for malicious software to prevent the programs from doing their thing.

Between those 2 On Demand Scanners, SpyBot SD and one of the AV programs, you should be well protected.

As others have mentioned, do NOT run multiple real-time AntiVirus protection or multiple real-time Anti-Malware protection schemes at once.
    They will conflict, cause problems and may even detect the library of the other software erroneously as malicious entities.

• Amid Dima

You can use programs rohos:

Rohos Disk – program creates hidden and protected partitions on the computer or USB flash drive and password protects/locks access to your Internet applications.

Rohos Logon Key – Two-factor authentication solution that converts any USB drive into a security token for your computer and allows to access Windows in a secure way by USB token, replacing the Windows login.

• luis donis

avira antivirus 2013
    jetclean
    ccleaner
    malwerbytes

• Adriel Tan

You should have one antivirus only. My recommendation is to pick Avast. Disabling Avast Web rep might be a good idea too, WOT is better in my opinion.

• Duy Nguyen Minh

You can have Comodo IS 2011 full license – it free 1 years setup your computer.

• DalSan

The only thing would like to add is that Malwarebytes free is just a standalone scanner. The rest is active or semi-active and could interferewithothers, except SuperAntiSpyware unless used with another active antimalware like Malwarebytes Pro. Avast is much better than MSE for above average users (downloading from many different sites), but I’d suggest a good firewall, too. Comodo is one I recommend, though ZoneAlarm works well, too. As far as browsers, you could go to http://www.Comodo.com for their more secure versions of Chrome (Comodo Dragon) and Firefox (Ice Dragon). All add-ons and extensions work for both, but is more locked down with security (removes security holes that were left in the originals) for a slightly safer browsing experience (less tracking). You could also use Comodo’s safer DNS servers for extra security, or use OpenDNS for faster and safer DNS servers. Glad you are thinking about safety, just don’t over do it. You can have as many standalone scanners as you would like, but use only 1 of each active antivirus and antimalware software.

AntiVirus – Microsoft Security Essentials (Free)
    AntiMalware – Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free)
    Firewall – Comodo Firewall (Free)
    Browser Plugin for IE / Chrome / Firefox – WOT Plugin (Free)
    Mainatinence – Piriform ccleaner (Free)
    Defragmenter – Piriform defraggler (Free)

Uninstall everything else, update these and use these regularly. Also regularly do Windows Update. You should see a marked improvement in your computer performance along-with a a decently secured environment. Lat very important, practice safe browsing habits. :)

You should never have more than one security product installed on the PC providing active realtime protection. This can cause performance issues, system instability…

you can have avast with Malwarebytes Anti Malware, and Super Antispyware. they are compatible.

• ryu S

I posted this question.
    I took off avast and avast web rep.
    Should I still add or remove anything?