How I stop my iPad Mini from dropping WiFi connection after updating my iPad to iOS 7?

Kyem G September 23, 2013

After updating to iOS 7 in my iPad Mini, I found two problems:

1. It couldn’t join a known network automatically, even if the “auto join” option is turned on.
  2. The WiFi connection would drop when the iPad is kept locked for some time, maybe half an hour or even in 5 minutes after the auto lock.

As per the Apple care suggestions, I restored the iPad and the 1st problem was resolved but the second problem remains. I have tried with network reset too.

Yesterday I was downloading Dead Space which would take near about 45 minutes with my home WiFi to download, and I kept the iPad idle after almost 20 minutes, I unlocked it to check back and the WiFi got dropped and the download was interrupted. At last I had to disable the auto-lock and download the game, while keeping it unlocked. So, is this a hardware problem or a bug in the operating system?

Here’s some further information: While in iOS 6.1.3, sometimes there were interrupts in downloads in spite of having a relatively good internet speed. Please help me. My iPad is still under warranty till Feb 2014.

FYI. My ipad mini has a case and after last update I had the same problem until I changed the lock/unlock setting in general. It was always on before but I think update turned it off. Now the problem is gone!!!!! Hope it helps someone

Im in the same boat. Loved the mini before the last update now the family hates it. Please fix

3. Ellinor

Same problem with my iPad mini, its driving me nuts!!
    Theres gotta be a solution for this? If not, hope Apple will release a fix.

4. mike

i have the same problem. mine never dropped the wifi signal until i did the update. cant run air play to my tv cause the signal drops again and again.

My ipad 4 had the same issue. The wifi connection went off when the ipad was idle and I just reset the ipad using the following steps: general>reset>Reset all settings. No data or media will be deleted. Good luck!

I have exactly the same challenge with my ipad 4 since i downloaded the ios 7.

I'm having the same problem never had these problems before I
    Downloaded the new verson to iPhone was able to use my personal hotspot not any more.

8. Tim B

Very odd, not got an iPad so I can't test anything but certainly haven't heard anything about a widespread issue. This does suggest it's something to do with your specific hardware, so I suggest you give Apple a call and see if they can help you out.

Let us know what they say/how it goes for you :)

have you tried reset your router?

• Kyem G

Did it man!!! Did network reset, restored the iPad too for two times!!!

go to your router and change wifi channel perhaps there are some interfrence

This is interesting, as my iPad Mini has gone through the same update as yours recently, and I have no trouble at all with WiFi. This suggests it may be specific to your iPad. Give Apple Care another call and see if they can help.

• Kyem G

Yeah I do have the same doubt!!! The service center asked for a week time.. I'm going to call them again... My iPad is under warranty...

To the best of my knowledge it is intended behavior (since iOS6) that WiFi is dropped shortly after the device goes into sleep mode to safe battery charge.

One way to prevent it from dropping WiFi in sleep is to connect it to a power source.

Other then that it will only reconnect automatically for selected background tasks (e.g. Background App Refresh, iCloud backups, emails retrieval).

• Kyem G

Oh man!!! If this is so, I hate this...