How I stop apps from running in the background on my Android?
Question by Osama Javaid /

I recently purchased my first Android phone (Qmobile Noir A10) with Ice Cream Sandwich installed on it. It has 512MB of RAM and 1GHz Dual-Core processor  This is my first experience with Android. I checked all the apps pre-installed on it the first day, including Facebook  twitter, Skype  maps, yahoo messenger, geo news etc and installed few new ones like IMDb, whatsapp and viber.

Now whenever I click on the menu button and go to ‘manage apps’ section and then go to the ‘running’ apps tab, I see many of the apps running in the background and using around 270-280 MB out of total 512MB RAM.

I do not want all the apps to be running and using RAM and wi-fi at all the times. I just want to launch these whenever I want and then close down completely when I close them without their automatic relaunching with phone restart. Please guide me.

• Vidit Jain

You can install install “Advance Task Killer” (
    from the Play Store.
    If you want to kill apps automatically you need to choose one of auto-kill level
    – Safe: Only kill the apps aren’t running but still consume memory.
    – Aggressive: Kill the apps running background and apps aren’t running.
    – Crazy: All apps except for apps you are using with.

• alam shaikh

if u dont want all your apps running all the time then u have to clear it regularly…
    so its better u download GO LAUNCHER and GO TASK MANAGER..
    it will resolve all your problems of ram
    check it out it will help…!!!!!

When android apps are installed, it states the services it will be accessing. Some by nature would run on the background constantly. Either you decide to use those apps or uninstall. But android apps mostly run like that, so you would not be left with too much options then. Also Susendeep Dutta really explained beautifully how android functions. You need not force stop or go for task killers. However from time to time what you can do is keep the home button (the middle button) pressed for elongated time and it will show all the apps running and the background. Just press Remove All button. Also again press the middle button and then press task manager and then RAM and then go down of the page and press clear memory. I think this steps should suffice if you face a performance lag.

• Patrick Jackson

Go to Settings -> Apps.

Select the app you want to stop.

Click on Force Stop button.

This is a bare bones method and doesn’t require any app to be installed.

I hope this helps!

in order android to function correctly some amount of ram are used this is independent of what you installed. If you do not want your installed applications to run in the background you have to use a task manager.

Don’t go for killing them as Android uses RAM in a different way.This might seem contrary to you but Android works on the principle that the greater the RAM is fill more it’s good.As many processes are residing in the RAM,it would be easy for the OS to launch apps quickly.

IceCream Sandwich(ICS) is known for heavy graphics and requires higher specs to work smoothly.Phones with only 512 MB RAM do will face problems while running many apps so 1 GB RAM is recommended.

Android automatically removes those idle apps which has been remained idle for the longest amount of time and hence manages memory efficiently.If you have faith in the OS,then don’t use any kind of RAM booster or task killer apps as they do much more harm than good.Task killers comes to use only when you encounter an app which is highly buggy and takes your phone down.But since,Andorid ICS as many features,you might not need it.

If you install any custom ROM for your phone and use any task killer app and do encounter any issue and ask for resolution to the ROM developer,they would simply ignore your issue only because of this task killer app.

If those preinstalled apps are not to your taste and worries you about resource consumption,then use their alternative counterparts and freeze them –

• Ashwin Ramesh

Why not install a task killer such as this one:

This really does a good job on my smartphone :)

• Junil Maharjan

you have to force stop them. if you want to stop them permanently, you require to do to from the app if the app supports it or you may have to root your phone. if there are any other ways, i would like to know too.