How do you categorize your apps for storage on disk?

Lisa Santika Onggrid November 12, 2012

I like downloading and trying applications, but lately my collection has grown a bit too much that I have trouble managing it. Currently my setup is: App/Mobile and App/PC/

PC has three subdirectories with more subdirectories:

PC/Live&Boot CDs/file.ext
PC/Installer/[Name of App]/file.ext
PC/Portable Apps/[Name of App]/file.ext

When I need to find particular programs I don’t usually use (thus no shortcuts), sometimes they’re buried too deep or that particular folder is housing too much subdirectories. I used to categorize each app (graphic, internet, etc) but problem arised when an app is in multiple categories. I’m thinking to reorganize them, so how do you categorize or organize your applications?

Please refrain from recommending collection program. I’d rather not add more app to my routine. While I could always use Launchy, I want neat folder to explore easily.

1. Muo TechGuy

Well, one question would be - why? In this age of unlimited broadband, keeping duplicate copies of commonly available files like app installers is just a waste of storage. Keeping stuff around like that clutters your virtual life, and every bit of clutter in your life makes you less productive.

Next time you need it again - download it. At least then you'll have the latest version, and not the two-year old one you decided to keep!

It varies from person to person on how they organize and they do it on their own comfort level.

I usually organize it by -

1) Installers -

D:\Softwares\category\filename.ext

2) Portables (zip package) -

D:\Portable softwares\filename.zip

3) Portables (executable) -

D:\Run\file folder of app\filename.ext

The ones which are in multiple categories are left outside category folder for installers and since I'm not much confused in portable section,so not much categorization there.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I think I like yours. The idea of separating portable zip and executable hit the nails. I'm always annoyed to see mix of folders and files in a folder.

• Pwince Khan

yeah nice

• Boni Oloff

Nice idea. I like the way you organize it.

3. Jan Fritsch

I used to categorize similar to you e.g.
    Hardware \ HDD \
    Hardware \ Graphics \
    Multimedia \
    ...

At some point it just took too much effort to keep it organized & updated so I switched to using the main directory for all software, installer and portable. I only create folders for specific devices and stuff e.g. "_Thinkpad", "_iPhone" (the underline is there to distinct them from folder of portable software)

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Nice idea to use special character.
      Thank you for your response.

it comes to tree style categories and tree section inside.
    if an app is in multiple categories, you can create universal section and add then there.

small number of files are easy to categorize now complication arises when they become thousands, and also here there is not much of novelty it all goes into circle and one conclusion folders, a difference is on how they access deep folders like making shortcuts, using launcher, having virtual desktop...

if you want to find your apps use Everything search
    http://www.voidtools.com/
    launch it start typing and result will come

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Yes, I agree. Long Filepath is causing problem too, that's why I'm trying to reduce the number of nested folders.

5. Aswin Kumar K P

crackers and hacking tools,Device Drivers,DVD tools,Education,Fonts,Internet(browsers,messengers,flash players etc),Games,multi media(media players,converters,editors),mobile,business(document readers,office tools,spread sheets),OS,Security(antivirus etc),system maintainance...

this is the classification which I've done in my PC...

Thank You...

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

That cover all kinds of apps I have. Will try it up. Thank you!

• Aswin Kumar K P

welcome.I just said what i'm using. :)

6. Sachin Sharma

You don't need to manage until you remember it.

7. Daniel Ooi

My main folder consists of Applications, Documents, Movies, Musics, Photos, Projects, The Dump, The Landfill, Shared Folders

8. dhanunjayarao chunduri
    • Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you, but I'm asking to see how people group their apps.

9. Yang Yang Li

Moving around program files is a risky undertaking. Often times moving files will prevent registry entries from being accessed correctly. I suggest you index your hard drive and use the helpful Windows search feature. Whatever you do, do not delete System32!

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

To be clear, I'm not moving around installed programs. These are my collection of installers and portable apps.

• Yang Yang Li

I keep installers and portable apps as well! What I do with my extensive collection is separate the portable apps from the installers. Each type is in a folder. Then I rename them to be easily searchable. For example: "muo11.13.12_install.exe" would be renamed "Make Use Of Version 11.13.12.exe".
        Then I use the handy search bar whenever I need to find a program.