How do we know whether our solutions are helpful?

Rajaa Chowdhury May 30, 2013

Though MakeUseOf took the right step in revamping MakeUseOf Answers, the objective was not met, due to less awareness or apathy of people posting questions. People who regularly answer have no clue if they are even providing the correct solution.

Would a force closure by users implemented by MakeUseOf for questions over 1 month may help the situation, before the person can post another question? Probably MakeUseOf also then needs to look into a NOT RESOLVED button too for a closure.

What is the opinion of the MakeUseOf user community?

1. Tina Sieber

Thank you everyone for your input! There is a long wishlist of features that we eventually want to introduce and sending reminders is one of them.

Adding a reminder and possibly a link to mark a question as resolved to each comment notification is excellent! I will put this suggestion forward and make sure it is implemented in one way or another.

2. Jay H

The input from All of those above is spot on!
    How about a site wide poll/vote on the subject?

3. null

I don't know if it's technically possible, but could we set up a system which, when it sends you updates on a question you generated, adds a footer saying "Does this answer your question? If so, please mark this thread as resolved _LINK_ ".
    This would act as a permanent reminder/nagger to close the call while the discussion is going on, and provide the link to do so when the time has come.

4. DalSan M

Excellent question, and we need to collaborate on finding a better solution. Finding one is a battle in itself, finding a good one is rather difficult, and a perfect solution is almost impossible. The biggest problem I see is no feedback from the original poster, making it very difficult to know how to help in finding a solution. If the person asking the question gets warnings about not applying feedback along with selecting the solution used or stating a solution the poster found and used instead while giving a run-down of said solution would help not only us as we contribute our thoughts on a solution, but also help others viewing the question and answers as they may find a solution they are looking for as well.

More help may be needed, so a moderator or two might be necessary to review the entire answers section and give reminders as they deem it necessary to do so. Otherwise, we contributors need to give kind reminders (which may not look as good seeing it along the answers posts) on what may be necessary to get the questions moving in the right direction and/or close the question properly. We just need to make sure anything done does not seem harsh as it may deter people from asking questions.

I think that the reason might be that people asking question for most of the time would be looking into answers in the email itself where they get notifications.Mostly,they don't even respond on how they are liking or hating the responses.

Might be giving instructions on how to resolve it and explaining them importance of it can be a bit helpful.

Rajaa, I agree with your description of the problem, but I think your measure is a bit draconian. My guess is that many users simply are not aware of the need to "close the call". Perhaps a large reminder "you have _x open calls_" could be put at the top of the page, with a link to the actual calls.

• dragonmouth

Unless one has worked on a Help Desk or in some user support capacity, one is not aware of the necessity of closing out the trouble/problem call. Of course, it is also common courtesy to say "Thanks, my problem is solved" or "In spite of all suggestions, problem persists". The perfect post would be "Thanks, XYZ's suggestion solved my problem". One could only hope.

I do agree that some method of prodding the poster of the problem to mark it "Resolved" should be devised and implemented. There may be others in the MUO community that are experiencing the same or similar problem. A "Resolved" label provides them with a definite solution.

7. Krzysztof Buzko

I agree. NOT RESOLVED should be available. But the most frustrating thing is when we find SOLVED problem on make use of , and the poster writes "Ok. I found solution." And thats it...

I agree Rajaa, to me its still not the finished product.and have never been sold on the points scheme. With some of the questions the first person to answer is the person that gets a few likes/points even if the answers are way off!
    Sadly, people seem to be oblivious to the fact that if they have a solution then mark the question as resolved just as they are oblivious to the fact that if someone who is trying to help them asks a question, then they should out of courtesy respond so we can finallise the answer.
    Is there a perfect solution I wonder?