How do I use Win XP ASR to recover a laptop with only one drive slot?

Anonymous December 1, 2013

I response to your helpful account of how to use WinXP Pro to make an ASR CD and Floppy Diskette, here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/windows-automated-system-recovery-disk/
I wondered, if one has a laptop with only one internal drive slot, how does one boot with apparently a requirement that both WinXP Installation Disk CD and the ASR floppy diskette required in PC drives simultaneously, during parts of the ASR process?

Please would you let me know how one sorts this out?

Regards,
Akilia

1. Akilia

Thanks for the hint about USB floppy drives.
    tbh, I was wondering about Clonezilla under the circumstances.
    From your comments and others I have read, I think it may prove the best solution for my needs.

Kind regards,
    Akilia

I was wondering the same Hovsep asked. On what system did you create the ASR set if your notebook doesn't have both?

The Windows XP ASR consists of one bootable floppy disk and a media containing the recovery data. Both have to be you used during the recovery, both should be created on the system you attempt to recover or a similar one ~ they are system depended to a certain point.

According to Technet only the video card(s), network adapter(s) and the hard disks can be different.The (system) hard disk needs to be the same size or larger than the one where the ASR disk was created from. So if you created the floppy and the CD on your desktop there is a good chance it won't work for your notebook.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758365(v=ws.10).aspx

• Akilia

It is easy to make the ASR diskette. I just take the CD Writer/DVD ROM drive out of the single drive slot and replace it with the diskette reader, then presto I write a floppy diskette.

The problem is that I have only one drive slot. Restoring the PC seems to require both the CD AND the diskette drive in situ simultaneously for part of the resurrection process.
      The CD is needed for the reboot using the WinXP SP3 OS.
      The ASR Floppy diskette is needed during part of the process whilst the CD is still needed.

Or have I got that wrong??

The question is exactly as stated.
      I only have on drive slot.
      (of course I have two (only) USB 2.0 slots).
      How do I get the restoration to work with the interleaving requirements for both WinXP CD and the ASR floppy diskette?

Thanks.

• Jan F

I have never bothered with ASR myself ~ if I feel the need for a full system backup for later recovery I prefer Clonezilla ~ it's usually the faster solution.

Another problem is that if your hard drive is running in AHCI/RAID mode and you don't have the "F6 driver" included into the CD you are hitting an infinite loop: The setup cannot format the hard drive without the "F6 driver" on a floppy disk. Setup cannot continue recovery without the ASR floppy disk inserted. Basically one would need 2 floppy drives.

Back to the topic:
      If I understand you correctly you are using slot-in drives for both CD/DVD and floppy. In that case I'm afraid ASR won't work for you (at this point).

The problem here is not really with the ASR floppy and CD since it first uses the floppy to reformat your hard drive and then the CD for the actual data recovery.
      The problem is that you need to boot up from the Windows Installation CD and then select ASR which immediately tries to read the floppy disk.

Assuming your system can boot from a USB FDD I suggest asking around for a USB floppy drive ~ or just buy one. You can usually get them for $10-20. Personally I use a X years old Macintosh USB floppy drive whenever needed.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/VST-USB-Floppy-Drive-/271337299807

you mean you dont have diskette reader?

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456980.aspx