How do I upgrade the RAM in my 2011 MacBook Pro and how much should I pay?

Sashritha Peiris December 13, 2012

I have a MacBook Pro late 2011 model. I would like to know how to upgrade the RAM and how much it would (should) cost.

I already have 4GB, does anyone recommend I do not need to upgrade? I am currently running Mountain Lion.

1. Anish P

i've had good experience getting RAM from http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

you can check to see your mac's specifications by clicking on the apple logo at the top left of your screen and selecting 'About this Mac'. Select the matching processor information on the Crucial website.

When I bought mine, I wasn't too comfortable with replacing my RAM on my own despite the clear instructions online, so I simply took it to an apple store and asked a genius to do it for me. They did it free of charge and within 5 minutes, I was out.

2. SAURAV AZAD

it would cost u around 200rs for 4gb ram

• Sas

Ok thanks.

3. Sashritha Peiris

THANKS

4. Sashritha Peiris

Thanks people You are really helpful

5. Adriel Tan

Prices vary depending on where you live, I can't really help you with that.
    However, an 8GB upgrade is great for Mountian Lion, ever modern OS can use more RAM :). If you want to do it yourself, apple actually has a manual where they show you how to upgrade your ram.

6. Sashritha Peiris

Thanks I think I got it now. I knew how to install RAM from the start

7. Vivek Kumar Yadav

I´ve done this becuse my macbook went slower an slower and was running out of RAM when using virtual Machines in Paralells … so I get on the internet, orderd some good RAM 8GB
    When I get it … 20 minutes later my Macbook runs with 8GB.

8. Alex Perkins

To do it yourself should cost about £15

9. Sashritha Peiris

You guys are awesome thanks for your help

10. Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

Most probably you got ddr3 sodimm ram.just get one of those,but make sure the speed of memory,like the mhz is same or you are screwed(the whole mac can become trash)

11. Adinamo Alex

Under 100$, check for a local shop.

12. Paulo Delgado

You should talk to an Apple genius to come up with a strategy that won't void your warranty.

13. luis donis

not as expensive with 4gb of ram install it would be nice usually always better to carry mad apple

14. Mac Witty

Upgrade to max (8GB for this if I'm right) You can never get too much of RAM.
    Do agree that Apple charge too much for memory - buy Kingston or any other good factory

15. anil mankali

you need to upgrade 8 gb ram, this is the upgrade you need to do...

16. Ahmed Musani

contact apple support for that. they'll guide you better

17. Roomy Naqvy

Price of RAM would depend on different local markets. There's nothing like a universal price, of course.

18. Sashritha Peiris

Thanks Somuch guys

19. Thomas Petrucha

Hmmm upgrde to 8GB is always good ;)
    ... I´ve done this becuse my macbook went slower an slower and was running out of RAM when using virtual Machines in Paralells ... so I get on the internet, orderd some good RAM 8GB ... I think I´ve paid only € 80,-- ...
    When I get it ... 20 minutes later my Macbook runs with 8GB.

Only the right RAM and some small screwdriver is needed to speed up your MacBook and save a lot of money

... I all so changed my hdd to a SSD ... clone, change ... everythins ok ;)

20. Jurmy Chris

Apple charges an extraordinary amount for RAM upgrades, so if you plan on increasing the RAM in your system, you might consider looking to third-party vendors.

check this site https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 on the instructions on changing the RAM. Sorry i don't know the price for the RAM.