How do I up-vote posts on MakeUseOf Answers?

Chris Marcoe April 9, 2013

As of last week Monday, I could up-vote others’ posts with no problems. I went on vacation for a week and now that I have returned, I can not up-vote anyone. I click the up thumb and it just does absolutely nothing. Not little processing icon, no up-votes, no nothing.

1. justinpot

Upvote this comment. Just to test. It's a test comment. Upvote it. Now. #notspam

• Chris Marcoe

I'm home now...and its borked on this comp, too. So, NO VOTE FOR YOOOO!!

• Chris Marcoe

So, Ice Dragon didn't work at home, and neither did Firefox. Opera, for some reason, wouldn't even show me as logging in. Chrome, however, does work. I could upvote you, Justin. I'm so confused by all this. I really don't want to have a second browser open just to use MUO. That is tedious.

• justinpot

Well I'm just glad to get the upvote. Now James: fix it.

• Tina Sieber

Works after clearing cache and reloading the page. What I do to make you happy, Justin!

• justinpot

You sure it's working, Tina? Better upvote again, just to make sure.

• Chris Marcoe

The funniest part of this whole thread is that everyone has gotten upvote...except me!!! /le cry!!

And, its still not working.

2. Chris Marcoe

Thank you both for the help. Is there some way I can make it work in Firefox? I'm not normally a Chrome user. But, I can now give credit where its due.

3. muotechguy

Is this still not working for you Chris? Do you notice the number of points you have is being correctly displayed next to your profile?

• Chris Marcoe

No, it is not working. And yes, the total points are correct. And they are real time, also. (I just read an article about speeding up browsing and shared it, and the points changed by 5).

So, still no love.

• muotechguy

ok, I've changed some security stuff which has played up in the past. Can you try again? Sorry to be a pain, but it's working for me so very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. Also, is this on a specific question or all questions? Are you able to vote up my answer here, for example? And do you see the checkmark icon above the vote-up one for this question?

• Chris Marcoe

There is no check mark. I believe (but didn't pay attention when it happened) that it occurred at the same time as the inability to vote.

No, I can not up- or down-vote your post here.

It is all questions. This one and every other one too.

Yer helpin my out so it not really being a pain. And thank you for that help.

• Chris Marcoe

Also, on regular posts, on articles, I can hit the "like" button and it actually works, giving that post one like from me. Not sure if that matters or not, but there it is.

• muotechguy

Just to be sure, could you try from a different browser, like an incognito window or a browser you don't normally use? Which browser are you using now?

• Chris Marcoe

OK, signed in with Ice Dragon (Is that too similar to FireFox to test?) and I still can't upvote. I'll try using Internet exploder...

• Chris Marcoe

OK, logged into Chrome and it worked. Any idears why that would be that Firefox/IceDragon don't work?

• MakeUseOf TechGuy

Hmm, a few possibilities. One, it genuinely doesnt work with firefox, which would be bad for me. ;( Two, just needed to clear you browser cache files again. Three: I have no idea what ice dragon is... but googling it I see some kind of comodo internet custom browser, is that right? In which case, I'm afraid that's a bit of fringe browser that I can't really help with. I'll check stock firefox to make sure there's no issues there though.

• Chris Marcoe

It worked before my vacation. After coming back, it didn't. I just moved to another computer and it seems it works with this computer and FireFox. So, I am guessing that it is something on my end on that other computer. Also, logging onto IUce Dragon on this (other) computer, I can vote here too.

Thanks again for the great help.

• muotechguy

You definitely cleared the IceDragon browser cache?

• Chris Marcoe

Yes. It didn't help. It is still seeming that it is this computer alone that is doing it.

4. macwitty

I had the same problem in Chrome, even after empty the cache but noticed it worked well in Opera

Hmm, Tina, I have just notice I have the same problem and resetting the cache does not help...

6. Tina Sieber

I ran into the same issue, recently. Try to clear your cache and make sure you are properly logged in. Sometimes Gigya is buggy.

• Chris Marcoe

Is there a Cache on the site that I can reset? If not, what cache am I resetting?

• Tina Sieber

Oh, I meant your browser cache. Sorry!

Maybe you also need to clear your cookies, i.e. deleting all stored login data and logging in completely fresh. Depending on your browser, you can selectively delete MakeUseOf-related cookies, so none of your other sites are affected.

• Chris Marcoe

I actually did that right after I replied to your first message. Its still not working. I signed out. signed back in (which, at times, fixes posting problems) and am signed in correctly now. Still no love for the upvotes. I ran CCleaner, too. Getting rid of cookies. Will go in now and see if there are still any associated with MUO.

• Chris Marcoe

So, I've removed all cookies associated with MUO. I had to sign back in. And I still can't upvote...