How do I transfer files to and from my work PC after USB support was disabled?

Shah Rishi December 21, 2012

Before I left office today I couldn’t save an important file to my USB drive, because USB supoort has been disconnected by office staff. This means I can’t connect my pen drive or mobile phone with my PC to access my data. I don’t understand how I am meant to import and export my files using the pendrive from now on.

What can I do to re-enable USB support? Are there any other things I could use?

1. DIANE WHITE

You could store your files online at ADrive and then download them from there to your home pc and other devices.

2. G F

Use a cloud service like dropbox, box.net, or skydrive. These are free and give you a few gigabytes of storage, and you can pay for more. Install software on your home PC (for dropbox, not sure about others) and get near-seamless integration with windows explorer. Files can be downloaded via the browser on essentially any computer,

3. Samuel Jamkhandi

I'd like you to opt one of the following solutions:

1. Try asking admin permission for that particular moment. Please don't try any illegal things and get caught.

2. Try for cloud storage like
    a. http://www.dropbox.com
    b. http://www.mediafire.com
    c. Microsoft Sky Drive
    d. Google drive

4. Réy Aétar

use any cloud sharing service

5. Christin

Maybe there's a problem with USB port on your PC. Why don;t you consult it to your Administrator?
    Otherwise, you can use online storage like Dropbox and Box (Box actually is giving away free 50GB of space now until the end of month).

If you have a limited account, you won't have access to cloud storage because you can't install the required software. Talk to your IT admin about VPN access.

7. shahab

just use Ubuntu or windows xp and boot frm pendrive

8. DalSan Mack

Email and cloud services would be best, though you might be able to use Wi-Fi ftp apps to transfer data depending on if you have Wi-Fi access on both your phone and the computer, and your phone has an app you can download to do this. Circumventing the USB block is a questionable action that could cause you to lose your job or heavily reprimanded. Dropbox, SkyDrive, etc. allows easy uploading and sharing, though you might want to ask your supervisor and/or IT department to make sure you aren't going against any of their guidelines.

Hello, it is not uncommon for business and enterprise to disable USB. It is the need to keep the network secure. It is a valid solution to prevent data loss and also a way of preventing viruses. In your case only IT can enable USB support unless they did not disable the registry access. Even if they did not disable registry access, It would be unwise of you to try and enable it on your own.

One possible solution would be to upload the file to the cloud with a service such as dropbox or skydrive. If you are able to check your personal email at work and you have a skydrive account you can do it that way. For dropbox, it would be a little bit different because there are some places that will not allow you to install software either.

Unless you have Internet access, it looks like you are stuck with the "thin client dilemma". If you do have Internet, why not just e-mail the file to yourself (to a personal account, like gmail, yahoo, or live.com)? That's the simplest, fastest solution. BUT, if its a large file, or a nest of files in a folder, the cloud storage is the way to go. There are many to choose from; and most of the freebies allow you up to 5Gb.

11. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Dropbox seems like a good solution (http://db.tt/EYD2YRtv) as long as you have internet connection most of the time, but it will be a hassle if you need access to the data in instant. Workaround includes using your tablet as the medium between USB drive and the cloud. It's really strange that your office doesn't want to support USB drive, since it's still the one of the most widely used way to move data despite the infection probability.
    If you really need that function, then try talking to your IT support and clear it up.

12. Nevzat Akkaya

If you have no administrative account or if you don't know the Administrator's password, then you have no way of enabling usb access on Windows 7. You might use a live Linux CD and boot from it if you really need to access your USB device. However that might be against your company's rules, so I don't accep any responsibility in doing this. CD drive might also be disabled by your company, if this is the case, you have no choice for accessing usb drives.

• Shah Rishi

yes no cd/dvd drive in cup

13. Nevzat Akkaya

The best way for you is using cloud services.
    If you have Microsoft account, you can use SkyDrive.
    if you have Google account, you can use Google Drive.
    if you have Apple ID, you can use iCloud.
    You can also use other cloud services like Dropbox, Box etc.

is it the administrator responsible, if yes you have to talk to him, if no then perhaps some registry tweaking can solve the problem.

15. salim benhouhou

try cloud storage services like : dropbox,box.com or google drive

16. Duy Nguyen Minh

check your USB port and repair it.

17. Douglas Mutay

If your USB support was disabled by your system admin it might be to avoid virus infection that easily occur with these devices. Why don't you use a CD or DVD to burn your data? You can use the built in burner of Windows if you don't have any software installed for CDs. Or you can still send these files to your cloud and access them from home. But trying to baypass the restriction might put you in trouble if it was restricted by official decision.

• Shah Rishi

no cd and dvd drive in cpu