How do I switch audio from speakers to headphones on my PC?

RJ April 8, 2015

Sound comes out of my speakers for my Windows 7 PC when headphones are plugged in and the speakers are off.

I had these General Electric speakers that died. The speaker and headphone jack would both work at the same time. I bought the same brand (GE 98910 Ultrasonix Multimedia 2.0 Speakers) from Target and now the sound comes out of the speakers through the headphones even though the speakers are turned off and the sound is set to low. I’ve tried everything that I could think of to fix the problem and still nothing. Can anyone help me?

I tried changing the audio settings for┬áRealTek HD Audio Driver. Unfortunately, I still can’t enable headphones in the playback devices. I don’t know what to do.

1. Mike Merritt

If the "old" GE's worked how you wanted, but the "new" GE's work differently; my guess is that the new ones now have a 3.5mm plug while the original GE had a 1/8" plug. The slightly different size may not press the cut-out contact inside the jack sufficiently to work - and hence, you are getting different results. Try wiggling the plug around in the jack to see if things change.

2. Ben S

If you right-click on your audio icon in the system tray and click Playback devices, can you see more than one device? Changing this may make the sound come out of the speaker you're expecting, as you can disable unused ones.

• Gavin

Further to Ben's reply, you can change the default playback device within the Playback Devices dialogue box. What happens when you plug something in? Does the audio manager recognise it?

Make sure your speakers are set to "default." When I had a similar issue with my USB headset I had to set them as a default playback device too, and again for my headphones using a standard 3.5mm jack. Not sure why, but it worked out. Right click each device once its plugged in and set it to default, then remove.

"Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder." make sure they are running and set to automatic
    http://computerstepbystep.com/windows_audio_endpoint_builder_service.html