How do I stop my PC from crashing when I stream fullscreen videos in Chrome?

November 4, 2013

I built my desktop a couple years ago, and its rarely had any problems.

It’s an Intel quad core  2.66GHz CPU, with 1 terabyte of storage, 4 GB of RAM (DDR3) and the G41 chipset.

I was running Windows XP until last week. I had for various reasons not used my computer for about 6 months. At first no problems. The computer updates and all that. Then when streaming (I just got a new service provider for Cable 10 Mbps) the computer shuts off unexpectedly.

No shutting down, no warning, no blue or red screens of deaths. Just OFF! But it turns on and reboots fine. As this problem persisted, I noticed it only crashed after being in fullscreen. I researched online and found folks complaining about this being because Google has now added accelerating technology to its flash component which apparently was why my computer was crashing.

So I updated Flash, then updated AVG. Then I went to defragment the hard disk and received a warning about chkdsk.f/ missing. I didn’t know what that meant. I decided to restart the computer. Windows XP failed to reboot from this point on.

So That’s where the new hard drive came from. Installed Windows 7 because my hardware was 64-bit compatible. After all was said and done, I tried streaming fullscreen on Chrome again, and POOF! OFF again! Everything is up to date. I don’t need a separate graphics card for low-Q def streaming do I?

Never seen anything like this. As I said, it’s my desktop, not a laptop. It’s not overheating like I’ve seen laptops overheat. But Streaming in Firefox is fine. I am typically a Google user. I use Android and Chrome and Gmail, but now I have to switch everything to Firefox. Do I have to change all my habits or hardware for Google? Not likely.

Does anybody have an idea of what to do with this? Or will I simply have to give up on Chrome. Will this eventually start happening in other browsers? HELP!

1. Igor R

In google chrome.check if you maybe have 2 flash players plugins enabled (built in and standalone)..turn off the builtin and try again,if that doesnt help...try the opposite.Good luck!

picture : http://prntscr.com/22iw11

2. Jack S

Not getting anybetter actually. last night my computer just shut off agin with the new setup... and the kicker is that I was using firefox to stream.

can be internet connection, check your antimalware, disable it for a moment and repeat your actions see if this will fix the problem.

1) go to run and type cmd, right click on it and choose run as adminisatrator
      2) on the black screen type: sfc /scannow, hit enter and wait the scan to finish
      3) type: chkdsk /r, hit enter and wait the scan to finish
      4) Reboot

Were you able to resolve the problem? If so, which solution worked for you?

If you suspect Chrome's hardware acceleration (and it sounds like this may well be the culprit), start Chrome and type chrome://flags.
    There are a number of GPU-related options on that page, and I'm not certain which one relates to your problem, but you may want to change the "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" or some other settings. Just make sure to document any changes you make so you can reset them if necessary.

Since you did some research let me try to follow up on that:

Updating flash doesn't help as Chrome will preferably use the one built-in which you can't update on your own. Go to "chrome://plugins/", click on details and disable the Flash Plugin that is located within the Chrome Application folder > restart Chrome.

You said your computer reboots ~ does it reboot automatically? As this would be the behavior on blue screens when automatic restart is turned on.
    1. Right-click on "My Computer" and click Properties
    2. click on the "Advanced" tab
    3. click on "Settings" where it says "Startup and Recovery"
    4. uncheck "Automatically restart"
    5. reboot for the settings to take effect
    That should (almost) make sure you get a bugcheck when it happens.

Last but not least you can try running your system in a full debug mode:
    1. hit Start > Run (Windowskey + R)
    2. type "verifier /flags 0xFF /all" and hit enter

Your system will run pretty slow at that point. This is because all driver debug options are enabled now. Restart your system, do what you are trying to do and also take look into the Event Viewer for any and all problems reported.
    When you are done you can reset your machine by executing "verifier /reset".

have you tried to update the graphic card driver?