How do I start a sharing website?

Garva S August 19, 2013

I wan to start a sharing website, where users can share their videos and links of YouTube videos, games and their blogs, or anything else excluding porn and pirate objects. However, I don’t know much programming and do not know any scripts which can do it in easy way. Can you suggest any script or CMS which can do this in a easy way.

1. Farhan K

Website is a long way for you try to start up with a blog , I also have few ideas of websites but I am just attracting some audience from my blog so that I can get a boost when the website gets online by posting on the website and then linking the posts with my blog.You can start up a blog for sharing stuff in Tumblr,blogger or WordPress

2. Justin Pot

Do you have an audience already, or are you hoping to attract one? I wonder if a forum wouldn't be the best venue for this. There's lots of great free software out there for setting up forums, but know that if you don't already have an audience this is going to be an uphill battle. It's hard to gain traction without some sort of central mission and purpose for people to surround.

Garva, if it were only that easy... There's really no substitute for knowing *a lot* about web standards and programming if you want to set up a site that does something (like allowing users to log on, upload and download files etc). If it were that easy, there would be *millions* of sites offering these facilities. That said, as MUO TechGuy points out, there are already plenty of file exchange files (probably hundreds or thousands though, not millions...), so competition would be tough!
    I suggest you start small, learn to design a simple web site, even if it's just a personal "static" site with some text and pictures, and add features to it. You'd then have a better appreciation of what goes into building a web site. Good luck!

4. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Why would you do this when there's a million services out there that do the exact same thing - but better, more reliably, and with more users?