How do I set up samba and tripwire in LinuxMint 16?

Donald S December 9, 2013

I installed Linux Mint 16 on one of my PC’s at home to use as a home server. I want to configure samba to share the entire disk but only I can access it. I have it setup right I believe but cannot map the share to my iMac or Windows. Then I was trying to setup tripwire and got as far as inputing tripwire -init and when I do this I get an error “no command -init found”. I’m new to linux and I would like to set this up but I am having a difficult time doing so. Can anyone help me please. Thanks.

I guess you should start by checking if the samba shares are actually present. Open up a terminal window and type "smbclient -L " *replace IP with the one of the Mint system
    This should give you a list with all currently available shares on the Mint system.

If all shares you have configured in the smb.conf are listed make sure you are using the correct method to connect. On a Mac you connect by entering "smb:///" into the connect to server window. On a Windows machine it should be the standard "\sharename".

Depending on the Windows and SAMBA version you may have to alter the security settings within Windows but troubleshooting that can wait until OS X can connect it.

Here are two simple guides on how to configure SAMBA:
    http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=3781
    http://nuclear-imaging.info/site_content/2013/09/25/creating-samba-share-linux-mint/

• Donald S

Thank you for the quick response. That first link helped me out greatly. I now have the samba set up but I had to disable the firewall in order to access it. I now have it mapped to my iMac and Windows 8.1 machines.

• Jan F

Cool. Well, for Samba to work the following ports have to be open:
      UDP/137 (NetBIOS name), UDP/138 (NetBIOS datagram)
      TCP/139 (NetBIOS session), TCP/445 (Microsoft-DS)

In a GUI firewall that should be fairly easy ~ I'm not good with iptables commands so you might be better searching on the net for "samba iptables" or so.