How do I root my Sprint Samsung Conquer 4G running Android 2.3.6?
Question by Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda /

I have tried several other websites from research on Google, but none worked for me. If you could please explain how to root my phone in a step-by-step fashion, I would highly appreciate it.

• Vishal Srivastava

This is how I rooted mine. However, it may or may not work with you but its very easy and worth a try-

• Abba Jee check it out maybe you find it helpful for rooting your device

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Already faulty. Can’t install the program because of a non-existent “Internet connection problem”.

• Dhaval Patel

go on play store and you will find many apps which can root your phone..

• Kannon Y

Hello Cristián, rooting is always a complicated process because it essentially bypasses security measures that your carrier has in place to prevent you from altering the phone. Although, some manufacturers specifically allow you to root, for the most part, most companies don’t really want you to. Many, in fact, will invalidate your warranty if you perform a rooting procedure, so caution is warranted.

Each update (here’s the official update log) is often designed to prevent users from rooting their device. Therefore, if a root process worked for one update, it will probably not work on a later version. Again, this is to prevent root access to your device.

The most recent update is not FC17, which is what everyone linked to. The latest firmware version is FE18. Here’s the root process for it on XDA. However, you should be very, very careful: the directions are somewhat ambiguous and unless you are certain what you’re doing, there’s substantial risk of breaking your device.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

My phone is running FE16. What is the root process for that version?

• Kannon Y

Here’s the current root process for FE16.

Cristián, I must warn you that a single misstep or oversight may permanently brick/break your phone. Also, this particular modification will remove your warranty – therefore, if bricked, there’s no likely replacement forthcoming from the manufacturer.

Have a fall-back plan in case everything goes wrong. And make sure to read the directions several times before proceeding.

Also, once you root, it’s important to install a recovery. The process for installing a recovery is detailed here. It’s referenced in the rooting thread as the final step, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of how important this is. If rooted, you must absolutely perform a backup using your recovery. It’s not an optional step but rather a crucial first step after successfully rooting.

They refer to this as a “Nandroid” backup – this method creates a snapshot image of your phone in its pristine, rooted condition. Any accidental brick condition caused after this point can be reversed by restoring the backup. It’s also important to make copies of this backup. Try copying this file to a safe place, just in case something happens to your SD card.

• Cristián Torres

I tried booting the tar.md5 file but it says that there is just a checksum error. After that, Odin crashes. What am I doing wrong?

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Also another question is, if I root my device, will my phone still update regularly and not have problems doing so? Or it can update but when it does, it un-roots my phone or something? In other words, is updating a problem?

• Kannon Y

That’s a really important question.

After rooting you will definitely not want your device updating – a device update will replace your rooted system files with unrooted files, causing you to lose root access. Any new update will cause you to be unable to root your phone until a new exploit is discovered for the updated firmware. And that often takes a considerable amount of time. Months if at all.

Although you if you have backup, you should be able to restore it, thus restoring root.

There are two methods to keep root or avoid an update: installing an update blocker (which prevents updates entirely) and/or using some app like RootKeeper (which doesn’t work all the time). RK is supposed to allow you to keep your root files even after a update, but hasn’t had a great track record.

• Cristián Torres

• Kannon Y

Did you run Odin as admin? Right click on the executable and “run as admin”.

• Cristián Torres

Odin was running as admin, yes.

• kyamada

Checksum errors usually indicate that the file in question did not match the checksum – meaning that it’s possibly a corrupted download or the wrong tar file was downloaded.

There’s a huge number of reasons for a checksum error, actually. However, if you check the XDA site for rooting FE16, you’ll see a significant number of people with the exact same issue. You’ll want to read these closely for how they solved their particular issue. One guy actually downloaded the “wrong” file and successfully managed to root his phone. I suspect that he actually didn’t have FE16 and misread the firmware readout.

Are you 100% certain you have FE16? You can check this in settings -> about.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I have already tried using SuperOneClick, z4root, Odin, etc. and my phone does not appear on the “others” list.

you have to try
    Root the Sprint Samsung Conquer 4G SPH-D600 and install ClockworkMod Recovery

Samsung Conquer 4g rooted and working flawlessly with 2.3.6

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I have tried both of those URLs prior to posting this question on MakeUseOf.

• N LKX

have you tried this site ‘′ ?

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I have not but I will check it out now. I’ll let you know if it doesn’t work.