How do I root my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i?
Question by Tomiwa Ajiboye /

I need to root my phone but I don’t know how to. I use a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i and the Android version is 2.3.4 with a build number of 4.0.2.A.0.42. Please help!

I’ve searched with Google and tried some methods already (Superoneclick, Universal Androot, and Doomlord), but they didn’t work. I’m also afraid of bricking my phone. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Dalsan

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/SE_Xperia_Play

Here is a run-down of your phone that you should read up on, though not all is updated (rooting still is for Android 2.3.3). You will find more updated information in the forums with the links provided in the link provided. Looks like you can install Clockwork Mod, which is good news. Good luck.

• Dalsan

Just as extra advice, I have an LG G2x that I flashed with Clockwork Mod recovery and thought I got myself into trouble as it wouldn’t finish flashing or boot properly after trying to flash it, but I tried 2 or 3 more times until the flash process actually took, and then all was ok. I’m not sure if you could flash a custom recovery since the bootloader is locked, but I’ll try to find out for you. If you can install it, then it is possible to uninstall it if necessary (for warranty servicing). If at all possible, flashing a custom recovery is almost a must if you want to make sure the phone won’t brick easily. It can be scary, but once you do it successfully, you’ll never go back and might become somewhat obsessed with doing this on any other phone you get. I know I am!

• Kannon Y

Hello Tomiwa!

First, you might want to consider downgrading your phone to an earlier version of Android – it will make it possible to use other root methods. See below for details. Second, read as much info (as DalSan wisely recommended) on the root process as you can. I’ve included some useful links below:

Have you seen this thread over at Androidforums? It has all the major guides regarding the Xperia Play, particularly the information on acquiring root privileges.

Or have you seen this thread at Xda regarding the ZergRush method of acquiring root? It sounds as if you have and this may be related to ZergRush’s warning that Gingerbread that’s been updated after November 2011 may not be compatible with his method of rooting 2.3.x. Downgrading to an earlier version of Gingerbread would allow you to use exploits such as Gingerbreak, although some forum members clearly state that ZergRush’s newer method (updated Superoneclick) worked with 2.3.4. Judging from what I’ve read, it’s totally possible, but will require some planning. Also, apparently, Verizon is not compatible with this method.

Avoiding Bricking: There are two simple tips that will help you avoid bricking your phone. First, you must get a custom recovery installed. Second, you must enter recovery mode after installing a recovery and make a backup. Once you have the backup + recovery, it’s impossible to brick your phone, short of dropping it in a bucket of water.

• DalSan

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1130639
    Here are the instructions on rooting your phone. Be sure to read carefully and do not flash the recovery! This thread was originally for installing custom ROMS, but also notes that this is also how to root the phone. XDA has been a long time favorite of mine since my HTC TyTN II, then HTC HD2 running Android. Almost every type of phone mod you can find there, unless the phone is not popular enough or too new. Search in the XDA forums for more information on this process for your phone to familiarize yourself with it. Be very cautious if this is your first time and make sure you find out all you can. Here is another way: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312859