How do I remove the previous owner’s details from my used iPad?

June 18, 2013

I bought a second-hand Apple iPad. The old owner’s account details are still on it – how do I deactivate them?

Only problem is I go to General and there's no reset. Now what do I do?

2. Adil Farooq

You can tap on their id in Settings > Store (Settings > iTunes & App Stores if it's on iOS 6) and log out of the previous owner's account, and then do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content And Settings to remove all of their content from it.

3. Sidharth Verma

You Should Go to settings > general > reset > reset all settings
    it will change all the settings to the factory reset.
    or you can restore your ipad to use it as a new ipad.

4. Phill Duplessis

follow Tim's suggestion.

Tim's said it all, use the reset option to return the iPad to factory condition.

the best way would be factory reset.

I would check if this unit was stolen as original owner would normally erase all his stuff before selling it.

8. Tim Brookes

Hi,

Presumably you will want to reset the iPad back to an "as new" state, as if you had just bought it new yourself. Also removing the old user's account info is something they should have already done, and I'm quite surprised it reached you with all their info still on it.

In order to reset the iPad entirely (i.e. remove all photos, music, notes, apps and other content that is not yours) go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Confirm when asked if you want to delete everything and let the tablet reset. Once the iPad has switched itself back on, you should see the new owner set-up screen. Here you can input your Apple ID information, restore from any backups you may have or the register new accounts you might need.

This is the best way of doing this, it will restore all available free space and ensure that only YOUR data and info is on the iPad. You will need to input all your own credentials again - email, Apple ID under the App Store, Twitter, Facebook and so on. If you choose not to reset via this method you will need to spend some time in the Settings menu changing all of this manually - just reset instead!

Hope this helps!