How do I recover some deleted mail and only then empty the trash?

Anonymous October 20, 2013

I pressed “Select all” intending to select all scans from my officejet where I had about 20 scan emails which I wanted to delete. In my error I did not realise I had selected all my emails so I have all emails now in trash. How do I return them to my mailbox and seperate them from my trash?

It's probably too late now but if such a thing happens you can always do "Edit > Undo" or cmd + Z. It will put the deleted messages back right away.

Time Machine would be one option if you have it setup and running.

From your question I assume your Trash is filled with hundreds of emails, some trash, some accidental deletes. My personal approach is to use the Trash really just for trash.

I have it set to automatically delete all emails that are "One day old". This way if I accidentally delete stuff I can just move all emails back to the mailbox because worst case I just have to go through one day of clutter. In return this also means that you should be certain before you delete an email as it will be gone the next day.

if you have Time machine then perhaps this can help

I assume you are using Mac Mail, although you did not specifically mention that. There are several ways to do this, but the simplest and safest is:

Click on the Trash
      Select All
      Drag back into the inbox
      Sort messages in the inbox by sender, this will cluster you scans together. Select them and drag them back into the trash.
      Empty the trash. Job done.