How do I recover my data after a Windows 8 update?

Terry B August 17, 2013

In the last week or so I have lost about 2 to 3 months of data mainly documents and photos. Windows 8 seems to have updated and my data has disappeared and it has reverted to a previous setting.

I usually backup to an external drive but had not backed this lot up. Is there a way of recovering this data?

1. Terry B

Finally found the photos in another temp file I used explorer to open every file i thought could hold my files finally found them problem solved thank you all for your assistance.

Terry

for other occasions if you don't the location of files try disk cataloguer like Disk Sorter
      http://www.disksorter.com/
      you can have categories and one of them containing pictures so easy to lacate.

2. Terry B

I have found most of my files except a photo file these were found in a temp folder. So now all I need to do is find my photos.

Terry

3. Terry B

already tried that no good.

Terry

4. Terry B

Documents are stored in docs library photos stored in photo library videos stored in vid library.
    The only programmes used norton anti virus spybot.

Terry

• Jan F

Have you added any custom locations to the Libraries at some point? Maybe those locations have been removed and the files are simply not shown in the library.

Also I suggest taking a look into the actual file system locations using the explorer ~ maybe the libraries are just not working correctly:
      C:UsersyournameMy Documents|Photos|Videos
      C:UsersPublicPublic Documents|Photos|Videos

Windows 8 update should not touch files only system files. but accidents can happen.
    Pandora file recovery
    http://www.pandorarecovery.com/

data has disappeared and it has reverted to a previous setting??

If data was lost or deleted one can always try recovery software. Success depends mostly on how much the computer has been used in between ~ overwritten data cannot be recovered.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#recovery

Having that said I am curious:
    Where was the data stored e.g. My Documents?
    What updates or software have you installed before noticing it went missing?
    Do you run any cleaning apps like CCleaner etc.?

A Windows update should never touch user data!
    The only way I can think of it being responsible is that the data was stored in a temporary system location where it really doesn't belong in or maybe that the data is actually still where you saved it but the update changed/removed the link, menu item or whatnot which you used to access that location.