How do I record my system audio using ALSA Mixer?

Zhong Jiang January 10, 2013

I am fed up using microphone as my capture source, I cannot find mix or wave on my recording option on ALSA Mixer and there’s no solution available. How am I able to record sounds within the desktop without resorting to PulseAudio or other sound servers?

I am using Debian Linux. Thanks.

1. Zhong Jiang

I know I'm able to record sound through the microphone, so generally the program have sound but I want it to record internally. Thanks for the links ha14, but it's not what I'm looking for. Specifically, I wanted to record sound through the audio the speaker is using but that's not possible unless I use some loopback device which I'm having trouble to setup. Then how am I able to record such device on RMD settings?

• Zhong Jiang

I already checked out the forum for that site but when it says: "make sure it record from looprec", I'm stuck. The problem is, what device should I put it in on RMD settings. I've tried looprec, which isn't a soundcard that the program recognizes.

when you plug or install something check /var/log/messages and see if it is correctly detected, if not then perhaps can explain your problem

• Zhong Jiang

RMD doesn't install the device, it just reads from ALSA, on what its settings are. The log files might not help because looprec isn't a valid device.

Limited options in alsamixer

Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Linux

Record soundcard output ? No mix options on my HDA card..

• Zhong Jiang

Thanks for the link, I'm using Recordmydesktop but there's no relevant sections that can help me to record the system audio. All of your references is relevant but I've checked them already. So could you provide some answers whether if ALSA is able to record system audio that's compatible with the software?